_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How re-attach a broken antenna wire?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
I'm facing a problem here. I was fixing the overstated gun fume stains on the underside of my FW-190, when I accidentally snapped off the antenna wire (made from fishing line). How can I get a new one in place without excessive cosmetic defects?

The wire was attached to vertical the fin by a small hole, that can be easily fixed, I just drill a new hole. But the other end that was attached to the canopy is more problematic. When I built the model, I drilled a hole for the wire before attaching the canopy so that no saw dust got inside the cockpit. Could I prevent dust from entering by using a vacuum cleaner to suck away the dust immediately? Or just somehow glue the wire on the canopy and handle the model very carefully?
A heated needle, maybe?
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC
How thick it the part it needs to go into?
You could try drilling the hole so it doesn’t go out the other side.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can test both the glue and hole drilling methods on something similar befor you try.

The problem is not with the method. Drilling a new hole in the canopy would be easiest, but the dust that might get trapped inside the cockpit troubles me. On the other hand, there's already some dust inside (I just don't know how it got inside, I checked the parts many times before glueing!), so a little more would probably go unnoticed.

I think I'll first try making a hole that doesn't go through, and then drill all the way, if it doesn't work.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
dip your drill in a drop of klear before drilling through the canopy. With a little bit of luck the dust will stick to the drill this way.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dip your drill in a drop of klear before drilling through the canopy. With a little bit of luck the dust will stick to the drill this way.

That's a great idea! I'll give it a try.
Thanks
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
Use your drill to go about halfway in, to create a nice ,crisp hole. Then if you need to go all the way through, use a hot needle or piece of wire to poke through. This will not enter any dust into the cockpit, and avoids the molten warped look of the hot needle on the outside..

Cheers
Henk
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
I got the wire fixed. Thanks again for the tips.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got the wire fixed. Thanks again for the tips.

Great! Tell us which method?

Interested.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
I think I have to confess. I just drilled a new hole to the canopy and the vertical fin. A tiny amount of drilling dust got inside the cockpit, but that's hardly noticable because of the dust already inside

Thinking about the model now, I should have glued only the front canopy to the model and leave the rear one loose.
 _GOTOTOP