_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help!
grimlock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:29 PM UTC
Hi, I dunno if this tis the right section for this post but anyway...

I bought a Mini hobbies SR-71 and to my dismay, the decals are yellowed. Do you have any suggestions on how to bleach them white in less than a week?

BTW, someone suggested that I tape the decal sheet on my window and wait for the sun to bleach it. So far, there has been no progress. Would exposing the decal sheet to ultraviolet light speed up the bleaching process?

Thanks,
Joe
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 04:46 PM UTC
Best bet would be to get some AM decals. If the decals are old and yellowed, they are probably dried out as well and will dissintegrate when placed in water or you try to slide them onto the model. If they do bleach out in the sun, no idea on the UV light trick, you could try spraying the sheet with some clear acrylic to hold them together and create a new carrier film. They will need to be carefully trimmed since the sheet is one continuous decal now. They will no longer be separate decals on the sheet.

Good luck.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
Don't allow a few decals to ruin a model that costed a lot of effort to build.

These decals are waste, trash them!

There are sufficient after market decals available that can replace these.
owlbeback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi, I have had little sucess in the past bleaching out yellowed decals using sunlight. Seems to work about 50% of the time and can take up to 3 weeks for results. Your best bet in my opinion would be to follow everyones advice and go with aftermarket decals. The added cost far outweighs the aggravation.
 _GOTOTOP