_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
*pics* 1/72 RAF Personnel
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
G'day lads
well when i posted a pic of two of these guys in Figures no one replied so i guess you lot might be more interested in them
More to come, but this is what ive done so far.
They are made by Airfix.
Weve got chap on a bike, a guy carrying a 30 or 50 cal, a lad humpin around the ammo belts, then we have a pilot looking relaxed, with his Chute slung over his shoulder, then a broad from the WAAF, and finally a classy looking officer, complete with sophisticated moustache :-) (and medals)
Well here they are.
Cheers
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hi Dave,
Your tiny figures look great. very Air Force like. You have one up on me.....I don't think I would be able to do as agood a job as you have.
Mosseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 05:30 PM UTC
Great job on the staches! Sometimes I have a hard time on the facil hair for 1/35 models!
TsunamiBomb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC
Although this is a small scale, it is very poorly done. The figures faces are horrible. The uniforms are are disgusting. Thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my precious life.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 07:52 PM UTC
tsunami bomb, two things. 1 did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? 2 if you can do better put up some pics.
lestweforget, i have the luftwaffe set of airfix figures, and if i could get them half as good as yours id be happy
TsunamiBomb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Lol, David is my homie, he knows I was Just kidding :-)
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 06:28 AM UTC
yep, and we all know he kicked your butt in the last video game..... :-) :-) :-) :-) rolling on floor....
I did order that book 2....LOL
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
lestweforget,

I am impressed!

Tell us how you did this, if you have found a way to keep the paint from flaking off of the soft figures, etc.?
Pilgrim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
You know mate, I really wouldn't have believed it possible to get a finish as fine as that, amazing stuff mate!
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC
G'day guys
thanks very much for the comments
Fred, no secret for that, as i still get the same problem, just handle them with care, try not to squeeze them, as being soft plastic they will "squish" a little, this'll make the paint fall right off.
As for how i paint them, i go by a few simple steps, this is how i do it for uniform.
1-undercoat whole fig in light grey

2- paint base color of uniform, this should be the colour the real uniform would be if iy had no creases or anything that would cause shadows and highlights, just the plain color (in most of these RAF guys case, its sorta a light navy blue)

3- mix a little black with that base color and work it into the folds, and creases, only the deep ones though.

4-drubrush the whole uniform in a lighter tone that the original color.

5-if need be, do an even lighter color on the big raised areas, such as pockets, collars, etc...

For faces i give it a simple flesh tone, then with a darker flesh tone, shade in around the mouth, nose, eyes and under chin, then "trim" the shading with the original flesh color, so you have the shading only where you intended (in other words, so the eye shading is correct size, so the shading for mouth is just inbetween lips, etc..)
Do this for hands as well, in between fingers and that.
After that the figs just simple, the small detailing like gold buttons, rank insignia, etc...

Cheers, hope its helped a lil.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although this is a small scale, it is very poorly done. The figures faces are horrible. The uniforms are are disgusting. Thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my precious life.

tsunami bomb, two things. 1 did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today? 2 if you can do better put up some pics.
lestweforget, i have the luftwaffe set of airfix figures, and if i could get them half as good as yours id be happy

oops! sorry tsunami! i thought there was a troll on the loose, not you having a joke with your mate
 _GOTOTOP