_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Help with hazy canopies
cap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
I'm working on an f-18 right now, but it's been so long since i've worked with aircraft that i've forgotten what makes canopies turn hazy. I'm going to paint it with acrylic paint. Is it the tube glue that turns the canopy hazy or does that glue react to certain paints (i.e. acrylics or enamels)?? I just want to prevent a disaster.

thanks,
cap
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Both tbe glue and super glue will create a hazy canopy. If the canopy does turn hazy or if you want to prevent some hazing, dip the canopy in Future floor wax and cover it with a bowl for a couple of days so it can dry without getting any dust on it. I have also heard that if you place a fan next to your model while the glued canopy dries, it will not allow the fumes to settle, which is the cause of crazing. Of course, you could use Elmers white glue and not have to worry about any of this. Hope this helps.
Kyle
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Andrew - Tube glue, liquid cement , and Super (CA) glue can all fog your canopy. I would suggest you use a white glue or glue made for clear parts to affix your canopy. As far as paint I have used primarily enamels on my canopies without fogging, but Acrylics should be even kinder to the clear parts.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Andrew most time the cyanoacrylate found in super glues will turn the clare plastics to haze. You can prevent this by dipping the canopy into furture floor wax and letting it drip dry for 24 hours. I never had a problem with hazing using liquid cement either. There were times that I even had used clear coat to glue in clear parts. Looking forward to seeing your pics of your F-18. What kit are you building and it's scale.
cap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Thanks guys, it looks like this time it will have to be elmers glue since that is all i have at home and i'm a little under time constraints (i'm building it for a friend).

Joe- this kit is the 1/72 hasegawa. It may be a while before i can get pics up, but i'd like to get them out for some feedback.

cap
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 05:53 AM UTC
I have noticed that it's pretty safe to use CA with clear parts, as long as the the clear part does not create a closed cavity where the fumes get trapped in. But if you're not even a single bit worried, don't use CA. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I haven't had a single canopy hazed with normal styrene cement. The fumes doesn't seem to attack the plastic like CA does. But you have to be extra carefull with styrene cement when glueing canopies. Usually I use normal cement only when the canopy fits well and can be handled without the risk of ruining it with glue stains. Masking the canopy before attaching will protect the clear parts of it while glueing.Stains in the frames are not so bad, as they will be covered up anyway.
 _GOTOTOP