_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
REVIEW
  Vought SB2U-1 Vindicator
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
It''s taken a while to reach the UK, but Accurate Miniatures' first all-new release in years is finally on the shelves!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

As a comparison with the new Accurate Miniatures kit, here's my HiPM version of the "Wind Indicator"

I bought the kit at a swap meet and build it last year... needless to say that I was the only one who wasn't happy as Accurate Miniatures announced they planned to release the SB2U!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

That's a beautiful job on the Hi-PM kit! Needless to say, I've had one on the shelf since it was released. I had really fond memories of it, so I opened it again for the first time in about 8 years to compare it with the new Accurate Miniatures kit. Seeing the parts again just highlights what a great job you've done on it.

I've grown resigned to many of my old short-run kits being made "redundant". it's not just a question of the major manufacturers picking up on some of the subjects; Classic Airframes are giving some of their early releases a total makeover.

I just look at it this way - so long as you enjoy building a particular model, it doesn't matter if a new "better" kit appears later.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Now you made me curious! I know it's something I maybe shouldn't ask but... how many kits do you have in your stash?

Jean-Luc

PS You don't have to answer if you don't want...
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
Rowan & Jean-Luc,

Excellent review with many helpful photos - excellent Jean-Luc's built aircraft.

I hope that will have a new feature available for Accurate Miniatures and HiPM kits comparison.

Francois
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan!

Now you made me curious! I know it's something I maybe shouldn't ask but... how many kits do you have in your stash?

Jean-Luc

PS You don't have to answer if you don't want...

Hi Jean-Luc

You're quite right - you shouldn't ask! Let's just say "Far too many!"...

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:23 PM UTC
Jean-Luc
You did an outstanding job on that HiPM kit.
I'm sure you'll have no problems handling those sink marks on the AM kit. I have the -3, it has those sink marks, and it not the end of the world. Although I was surprised to find the sink marks, and believe the problem will eventually be solved at the manufacturing end, the kit is still light years ahead of the HiPM kit.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi all!

After seeing Rowan's Review... there's nothing the HiPM kit has better than the Accurate Miniatures one... except the sink marks of course! :-)

I wouldn't recommend the HiPM kit to anyone! François, a comparison review of both kits is really unnecessary. Let's have the HiPM kit Rest In Peace! Amen!

I said in another post, I wouldn't buy a short run kit if a better one is available from a mainstream manufacturer. Someone building the HiPM kit, now the AM one is out, has masochistic tendencies!

Jean-Luc

P.S. Rowan, no problem!
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Maybe a little background about the plane itself?, where used?, Did it replace the helldiver?, Purpose of craft? Anyboy know?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Johnny!

The plane wasn't succesfull, it's the least that can be said! Though one of the most modern aircraft of the Navy in the late 30' it was outdated in 1941. It's only (correct me if I'm wrong guys) operational use was during the battle of Midway! It was retired from frontline service soon after!

His nickname was "Wind Indicator" because it was so slow...

If you want more, I'll dig in my library. I have the SB2U "in action". If you want more... let me know!

Jean-Luc
Halfyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
That's really an interesting looking kit. I don't go in much for "wingy thingys" but that colorful paint job would sure brighted up the olive drab on shelves.

Very nice review, it certainly gives you plenty of information to go on to make the purchase.

Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Jean-luc

The French version of the Vindicator the V-156-F was used against the Germans in 1940, it also bombed northern Italy. I believe a number of Vichy Vindicator were strafed during the Torch landings.

The following link contains more information on the US use of this scout dive bomber.
http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/sb2u_vindicator.htm

David
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe a little background about the plane itself?, where used?, Did it replace the helldiver?, Purpose of craft? Anyboy know?

Hi all

I actually wrote a brief history, as usual, but deliberately omitted it to see what the reaction would be.

Opinions have long been divided on the usefulness of subject histories in Reviews. One school of thought has it that readers can find ample references for themselves - or simply read what comes with most instruction sheets.

I've always held a different view; namely that it's all too easy to take it for granted that everyone has access to reference books, or wants to spend time with web-searches. As regards the "instruction sheet theory" - I don't know about the rest of you, but I normally read reviews before I buy a kit...

Now, I must admit, some of the histories I've found elsewhere do seem excessive - on one occasion, after wading through two pages of close-typed text, still without any mention of the kit in question, I was beginning to lose the will to live. But, I'm sure there's a balance to be struck and feel that a brief subject history provides a good background for the review.

So Johnny, thanks for the feedback - it's nice to know someone missed the usual intro. I'll add a few paragraphs to the review tonight.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-luc

The French version of the Vindicator the V-156-F was used against the Germans in 1940, it also bombed northern Italy. I believe a number of Vichy Vindicator were strafed during the Torch landings.

The following link contains more information on the US use of this scout dive bomber.
http://www.microworks.net/pacific/aviation/sb2u_vindicator.htm

David

The British also used this plane under the name "Chesapeake". The history of this unsuccesfull plane is quite interesting after all!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi again

I've reinstated the history to the review. Of course, it's messed the arrangement of the pictures up... mutter, grumble... that'll teach me not to try experiments! :-) :-)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP