_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
More Luft 46ers
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi
I've noticed a marked increase in those amongst us who like or are interested in, for want of a better title, Luft 46 subjects.

I thought it might be a good opportunity to see just how many.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Peter!

Though not a Hardcore Luft'46 fan, I like the "experimental" aspect of such subjects as well as the "artistic" freedom for the camouflage and markings.

I only made Revell's Lippish so far in 1/48, but I have Fliegerhorst's Gotha P60C on my working table! I also have Dragon's Horten Go229 and FM's Blohm & Voss BV 212.

Unfortunately, there are not tons of what if? models in 1/48... so I'm scratchbuilding a Bugatti 100P wich is some kind of French what if?

In all, you can count me in! :-)

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Peter

Is this a first step towards a Luft '46 Group Build when you get back to England?

If so, you can count me in! I've got a fair number of kits that would count - especially if it was opened up to include stuff like the XP-55, Kikka and so on - and I was only wondering if I should risk starting the Czech Model Me 309 this morning!

All the best

Rowan
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
I don't build many aircraft but I must say I've enjoyed this series greatly. They are interesting and different to look at and I can tell you put a lot of hard work into it...

thanks for sharing.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
Well as you are responsible for me now having 3 Ta 183s in my stash (I don't have that many of any other model) I suppose I must be in. I refuse to ask any more questions on the subject though cos look what happend last time. We're up to the 11th instalment.................shaking head
Mal
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
the more i find out about the stuff that germany had in development, the more i think its a good job we won the war when we did, i have a couple of books on the subject of this (its not just aircraft its all sorts of other military hardware) if a luft 46 does happen id definately be interested. now, a little question, was it true that germany developed radar absorbent material, but it was too bulky to use on aircraft, so they clad u-boat conning towers in it? im sure i heard this somewhere, but ive never heard mention of it on these forums
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi.....
with regard to a group build....
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do a model for quite a few months....probably six.
I have the biggest modelling job in my life to tackle....
A massive 1 to 1 diorama project of a semi-detached house, including electrics, plumbing, working kitchen (yes it will support the cooking of real food), curtains, floorings, furniture etc......Diorama kings eat your heart out.... :-)

But if anyone wants to pick it up then please be my guest.
It could be Project X 2...??? It was about this time last year the first one was put in the frame for a September start.
I do hope a gruop build is started.....who knows with a long enough lead time even I may catch up.

Thanks and cheers :-)
Peter
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi Peter

Good luck with the 1:1 house diorama - hopefully, I'll be tackling something similar one of these days.

If we want to do an officlial Project X 2 Campaign, it'll have to wait until the New Year at the earliest, because there's a hold on any new Campaigns until then.

To be honest, I'd be biting off more than I could chew if I started another build right now. But, maybe, after Christmas...

All the best

Rowan
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi.....
with regard to a group build....
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do a model for quite a few months....probably six.
I have the biggest modelling job in my life to tackle....
A massive 1 to 1 diorama project of a semi-detached house, including electrics, plumbing, working kitchen (yes it will support the cooking of real food), curtains, floorings, furniture etc......Diorama kings eat your heart out.... :-)

But if anyone wants to pick it up then please be my guest.
It could be Project X 2...??? It was about this time last year the first one was put in the frame for a September start.
I do hope a gruop build is started.....who knows with a long enough lead time even I may catch up.

Thanks and cheers :-)
Peter

i made this kit about five years ago, as far as the kitchen goes i had to sand everything to fit! i cleverly used copper water pipes as copper water pipes, perhaps this is a tip you might want to think about :-) and dont forget the 1/1 scale modelling room
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 10:05 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips Phil...
I like the water pipe tip...I might even do hot and cold....

Know any good tips for 1:1 gardens.....a bit large for twisted wire and dried oregano and sage leaves trees...
I could use real trees...I don't anyone would notice.

And while we are doing it, we will be camping in the front bedroom.....must go and get a scale microwave thingy.

Cheers
Peter
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi all!

Peter, I did go through the 1:1 house modelling two years ago. Here are some pics to bring you in the mood!

The house was in good shape but we wanted to do some "minor" improvements... after two weeks of work, the house looked as if a bomb exploded in it! :-) My girlfriend was a little bit uneasy about the fact we had to move two weeks later! Anyway, these are moments you never forget in your life!

I've also noticed you wanted to loose some weight? 1:1 house modelling is perfect for that! I lost 10 kg in two month!

Good luck!

Jean-Luc

P.S. Currently I'm doing 1:1 house modelling in the garden. You should be warned such a project is a neverending story!
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
Wow Jean Luc
you look like you are in your element...this is really getting inside modelling.

And I have this to come....gulp.

We had a taste over June when we were back. Ripping the kitchen out, de-plastering the fire place, ripping up floor tiles....thankfully we ran out of time to re-do the electrics....My dear brother has seen to that in our absence.

I can almot smell the paint...Humbrol or Gunze?

Thanks and cheers
Peter

PS Once the house is in shape and anyone is passing through my neck of the woods there will always be a bed for the night for Amorama lads and lassies.

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS Once the house is in shape and anyone is passing through my neck of the woods there will always be a bed for the night for Amorama lads and lassies.

Peter, be warned! I could take this seriously!
I would do the same if you ever pass near the place I live...

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tips Phil...
I like the water pipe tip...I might even do hot and cold....

Know any good tips for 1:1 gardens.....a bit large for twisted wire and dried oregano and sage leaves trees...

after five years all my garden has had done is weedkiller and fire.......lots of it!
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose I must be in. I refuse to ask any more questions on the subject though cos look what happend last time. We're up to the 11th instalment.................shaking head

Mal....you asked a tiny innocent question that seemed to ask more questions the more answers were found...some would say the genius was in that little question... :-)
At least you can take a breather for a few months...but there is more answer planned..

Quoted Text

after five years all my garden has had done is weedkiller and fire.......lots of it!

Phil, thats as good a place to start. as any..I must remember not to kreosote the fence before I slash and burn the back garden...

The strange thing is...how I have become hooked on these profiles. Now I'm at a standstill I realise just how boring it is at work with only work to do...in my lunchtime of course.

Cheers
Peter
 _GOTOTOP