_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
VF-84 Roger Hedrick F4U-1D
Nokinja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 05:00 PM UTC
Aloha everyone.

I'm looking to get some information from anyone who may know.

I'm currently building the Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair piloted by Roger Hedrick which was based on the USS Bunker Hill, and i've seen many many builds of this Bent Wing Bird, however, being just a model i'm unsure how many of those are accurate.

I can't locate any color photos of the VF-84 Corsairs, so i'm quite limited there. Are the Tamiya instructions correct? Some of the corsair photos I see seem to have the Yellow around the cowling, but they also may be the F4U-4 models.

Was the VF-84 Sqn painted all dark sea blue, tricolored (white, light blue and blue) or was is Seablue with the yellow cowling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Nokinja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
I've done a bit more investigation, and this is the only image I can dig up of the deck of USS Bunker Hill. The image is captioned :

Quoted Text

VF-84 and VMF-451 F4U-1D Corsairs on board Bunker Hill off Okinawa.

It seems that all the F4U-1D's aboard CG 52 were Dark Sea Blue w/o the Yellow cowling, which was later used by the F4U-4's.

Additionally, can anyone explain what the white mark's are on the propeller hub of a few of the corsairs in the image? Are they paint chipping or would that be a feature to distinguish between the VF-84's and VMF-451's?

Sorry for my ramblings.

Thanks a lot.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
Not sure why your pic doesn't show but here it is. EDIT: Sorry it didn't show up for me at first, but now it does?

I'm afraid I can't help ref the yellow cowl front. I think it looks good so I was just going to paint mine like that. I think that you might be correct about the weathering of the spinner fronts.
I'll see if my limited references turn up anything.
Mal
Nokinja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 09:39 AM UTC
Well, it seems both maybe correct. I've found this online, but am unsure of it's credibility.

Quoted Text

The yellow cowling was a temporary marking applied for Identification purposes, while the markings in front of the cockpit is actually tape applied to the seams of the plane to keep fuel from blowing back into the face of the pilot.

The machine coded 167 was flown on 25th February 1945 by the Squadron Commander, Lt.Cdr. Roger Hedrick, who shot two Nakajimas Ki-84 Hayate (Frank) and one Mitsubishi A6M-5 Reisen (Zero) on that day. His total score was 12 kills and 4 damaged enemy aircraft. The engine cowling was painted yellow for the first Tokyo raid to aid quick recognition, friend or foe.

Is it okay for me to post my findings about the color scheme here? Not only for benefit of myself, but for anyone else who may be inquiring about this?
owlbeback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it okay for me to post my findings about the color scheme here? Not only for benefit of myself, but for anyone else who may be inquiring about this?

By all means, please do. There is nothing wrong with learning new things.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
Could you post a link to where you found that? Thanks
Mal
Nokinja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The machine coded 167 was flown on 25th February 1945 by the Squadron Commander, Lt.Cdr. Roger Hedrick, who shot two Nakajimas Ki-84 Hayate (Frank) and one Mitsubishi A6M-5 Reisen (Zero) on that day. His total score was 12 kills and 4 damaged enemy aircraft. The engine cowling was painted yellow for the first Tokyo raid to aid quick recognition, friend or foe.

http://www.alfamodel.cz/corsair/navod_eng.htm

Quoted Text

The yellow cowling was a temporary marking applied for Identification purposes, while the markings in front of the cockpit is actually tape applied to the seams of the plane to keep fuel from blowing back into the face of the pilot.

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/speccast/u_s_s.htm

Quoted Text

The image is provided courtesy of the following site.

http://warlords.hobbyvista.com/history.htm

Quoted Text

Here is a page with some great information on VF-17 as well as Roger Hedrick. (Not much aircraft based info, more historical.)

http://www.acepilots.com/usn_aces2.html

_GOTOTOP