_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Difference between $20 and $40 Tammy kits?
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 03:40 PM UTC
I've seen some 1:48 single seater Tamiya fighter kits for around $20 such as the Zero or the Buffalo, and some 1:48 single seater Tamiya fighter kits for around $40. If they are equal, it would make more sense to buy the $20 kits. What are the differences, if any?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:41 PM UTC
Their older, less detailed kits are cheaper. Newer, more detailed kits due to better molding technology, etc, are more expensive.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi Chuckster!

Gino is right... the older kits are cheaper because they are less detailed. But I would modulate this statement a little bit...

Overall, the quality is good and these Tamiya kits are still better and more detailled than some new kits! At least for the Buffalo and Zeros (A6M2, -3 and -5) and they will make into nice models once build. Here is my Zero made with the A6M2 kit.

Below you will find pictures of the cockpit and wheel bays... Not too bad isn't it! And you have a bonus of 7 figures included in the A6M3 and -5 kits. If you want to make a diorama including some ground personnel waving a the pilot, these kits have them! The kits were made around 1980, at that time the aftermarket for those figures wasn't existing I suppose. Too bad you have to spend extra money to buy these figures today!

So what's the problem with those kits? The answer is: they have a mix of engraved and raised panel lines!
Don't ask me why Tamiya did this, but they did! I draw the raised panels in red and the engraved one in green on the picture below so you can make yourself an idea! The same can be found on the fuselage... Doh!

Now that you know, it's your decision! The ONLY real difference is the engraved/raised panel lines issue. Other than that, these kits are equal to the new ones.
I bought the three Zeros of Tamiya rather than the Hasegawa ones because I don't mind rescribing the panel lines. In reward I have now 14 figures of japanese personnel. Considering the price of such figures in resin or white metal (Verlinden, Hecker&Goros), I would say you buy the figures and the kit is provided for free! :-)

Jean-Luc
archerwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
engraved and raised panels...

i don't know if this is correct but here is what i think... tamiya put engraved panels lines to reflect divisions between panels that will likely be more noticeble or panels with larger distance in between. the raised panels are used to model the panel lines that are closer together...

I have built some "cheap" tamiya kits and they are very good!
chuckster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hey, Jean-Luc, thanks for the info! Your Zero is outstanding! I've always been interested in the Buffalo (I have no idea why, It was proof junk can have wings), maybe I'll build one.
 _GOTOTOP