_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Blackhawk
mdools288
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hey I'm about to begin a new kit but I need some advice on which one. I'm going to build a Blackhawk of some variance, either the UH-60, AH-60 DAP or MH-60G. Which kit would you recommend? Are they all the same skill level? I'm leaning toward either the AH-60 or MH-60G. Thanks for your help!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:27 PM UTC
I am assuming you are talking about the Academy 1/35 Blackhawk models. They are all basically the same kit with different sprues for the different versions. The best deal for the money is the AH-60 DAP model, actually it is called an MH-60L DAP. This kit comes with all the parts from the standard UH-60A and MH-60G kits, plus a DAP specific sprue. You get lots of extras and the options to build any of the versions you want. They are all the same skill level and go together well. I have built the UH-60A (converted adn updated to a proper L) and the MH-60L DAP. I have 3 more of them in the stash as well with pland for a MH/HH-60G, an early UH-60A with original exhausts from Grenada timeframe, and a UH-60A MedEvac with internal litter rack and gear.

Here are my UH-60L.
More here.

and MH-60L DAP.
More here.

Cobra Company does a bunch of update and detail sets for them as well. I used some of them on both of my models. You will need/should use them to get an accurate L model, DAP, or UH/HH-60G. Ot of the box, they are not correct, they build into an A model, not an L. The main flaw is that the L models have a wider sponson (where the lower landing struts attache to the aircraft, stepped area below the pilots' doors) due to an added roll stabilizer bar to keep them from rolling over on landing. CC has the add-on piece to make these wider. Also, the kit collectove and cyclic control sticks are void of detail. The rest of the CC sets are for added detail, but are really nice.

Eduard also does interior and exterior PE sets for them as well. I hear they are nice, but haven't used them myself, not a big fan of PE.

I recommend any and all of them. They are great kits. They just scream for superdetailing as well. Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP