_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Canopy Tint/Cockpit detail
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Since I still can't seem to use the search engine, I'll ask another question that someone has probably already answered.

I just bought an 1/72 Tamiya EA-6B. They want me to tint the rear canopies smoke grey and the front "windshield" blue. I have done some quick research and that seems accurate. How do I do that? Do I use normal paints that have been very thinned down and put on several coats? Are there specific paints?

Also, does anyone know if they make a resin cockput for a Tamiya's EA-6B? I've found one for an A-6, but the EA-6 is a four-seater not a two.

Thanks everyone!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Richard

I'm the first to admit that I don't know the specific colours of the tinted canopies - but Tamiya do some clear acrylics which might do the job; X-19 "Smoke" sounds like a good candidate for the grey...

All the best

Rowan
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
There is also a way to Tint Future ?
http://www.swannysmodels.com/Tinting.html
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Chuck

Very true... and, of course, you can always try a thinned mix of enamels and varnish.

All the best

Rowan
ellevehc86
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 162 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
I was trying to figure out a good way to tint conopies too. I came across that link as well, and i think I'm going to try that one too. The cool thing about that method is if it does'nt look right, I can get it off using some light rubbing compound. My original thought was to use those thin sheets of light automotive window tint.

Jay
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hello Rich,
Tamiya does make a clear blue, X-23 as with the smoke X-19. To apply thin the paint about 25%. Spray on a thin coat and wait 15-20 mins.,then apply a second coat. Just don't go on to heavy. One thing, the wind screen should not be tinted, leave clear. Practice on a piece of white/ clear plastic or even a sheet of paper. That way it'll give you a feel of what your doing. Aftermarket kits for the Prowler in 1/72 a very little.

For a resin set of seats try here. They make the Martin-Baker GRU-7 for the prowler.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/neomega-resin.htm

Eduard's has a photo-etch set for the Hasegawa's 6B. Not sure if it will match up.

http://www.eduard.cz/./

Super Scale and CAM decals have plenty of the 6B's decals in 1/72. I'm sure there are more out there as of now, I just don't know of any off-hand right now.

I have build plenty of the Prowler and Intruders over the years, only in 1/48th scale. If you have questions just ask.

BTW, Welcome to Armorama. Nice to have you aboard.

Edit: I just check with Eduard site, they are no longer have it or just out of stock. I'll look around some more.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:01 AM UTC
Rich,
Did a quick product search over at,
http://aircraftresourcecenter.com/

At the top of the page, click search and type in "1/72 ea-6b". You'll be surprised at some of the 1/72 scale builds.
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
Thanks Everyone! That tinted Future link was awesome. I will look into both the clear paints and the Future. I'll post pics when I'm done.
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
Are you sure the tint is grey for the canopies? I seem to remember that EA-6B canopies have a gold layer in them to reflect the radiation emitted from the jammers and such and this gives the canopy a gold tint (duh ). At any rate, the Tamiya smoke would be the way to go. You can also brush on the clear colors in successive layers to get the tint but you have to wait for the previous layer to dry completely before you paint on the next one. Hope this helps.
Kyle
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
I've done some photo research and it seems to vary. It seems quite a few of the photos I can find where the plane is painted in a low-vis style paint job do have "gold" rear canopies and do not have the blue tint to the front windows with the arch at the top. The older-style paint jobs (grey on top, white on bottom, with yellow/gold radome) have the blue front windows and gold/smoke rear canopies. I plan on doing some research on the actual fighter wing that the model emulates and see what I can find. Oh, and it was a Hasagawa 1/72 not a Tamiya
 _GOTOTOP