_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
PHOTOS: MUSEUM
  RAF Flying Gear
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 05:15 AM UTC
I''ve started a reference folder for RAF WW2 clothing and equipment. First off, here''s a Defiant gunner''s distinctive GQ Parasuit, as displayed at the RAF Museum, Hendon. I''ll take pics of more items during future visits.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Thanks again for sharing!

The mannequin looks real! But his costume is a little bit... ridiculous... he looks like a big egg! I suppose the Defiant didn't had something to warm the cockpit...
More seriously, can you tell us more about the polish markings on the legs... what's that for?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

The Parasuit was worn exclusively by Defiant gunners - I presume to give them a chance to bail out of the cramped belly-hatch without their parachute snagging on anything...

The RAF Museum's Defiant is painted in the colours of No. 307 (Polish) Squadron - and herein lies the clue:

The British public had a nasty habit of mistaking Polish aircrew who crash-landed or bailed out for Luftwaffe personnel.

All the best

Rowan
winchweight
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi Rowan. I don't know if it was you I discussed a picture library of modern military kit with, but I should be able to get a load of photos in the near future of Brit kit inc:

CS95
DCS95
RAF Temperate flying kit
RAF CW flying kit
RAF 4B4L Flight helmet
Windproof smocks etc.

I may be able to get some weapons shots too. It all hinges on work really.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi Shaun

That'd be superb! Let me know when you get some pics and I'll start a folder in the gallery.

All the best

Rowan
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Very nice... any chance we'll be see the flight gear of RAF fighter pilots soon? I've got an old Chas C Stadden BoB fighter pilot that's begging to be painted.

Rudi
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
Rowan, that is a rather interesting flying suit, like Jean-Luc, I've never seen anything quite like it. He does look like a good figure to do for one of the old hasagawa egg planes.... :-) Thanks for the explanation.
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 11:14 AM UTC
Ah nice one. I might contribute some photos in there as a couple of years back, i went to the NZ air force musuem which restored alot of old planes like the Lancester (spelling) and i took a crap load of photos without knowing what to do with it. Very few on the actual pilot's uniform though.

Is it still ok to put the photos of the aircraft up or is there another album i could put these in?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy

Flying gear would certainly fit in here, but not the aircraft. Depending on how many photos you've got of the other exhibits, it sounds like they could either be organised by individual subjects or grouped in a NZ Air Force Museum folder. Whichever, we'd love to see them.

Submit the pics to the Support Centre so I can add them as "Content" and not tie up your own gallery-space.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP