_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
I mean Large! 1/18 scale
wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
I have gotten into collecting 1/18 scale aircraft made by 21st century toys, and they are quiet imprissive, my question is, is there and aftermarket supplier to add detail to them?
If not I can scratch build the engines and armament.
Darktrooper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
none that I am aware of.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
No AM products that I know of. I think it is due to them being toys and not models. They don't seem like much of scale replicas to me. Just large toys. The detailing isn't that great and they have oversized parts from what I can tell. Not my cup of tea, to each his own though.
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have gotten into collecting 1/18 scale aircraft made by 21st century toys, and they are quiet imprissive, my question is, is there and aftermarket supplier to add detail to them?
If not I can scratch build the engines and armament.

I also collect the XD and 32x aircraft.. As of now, I don't know anyone that makes aftermarket stuff just because there isn't a demand for it.. But I have seen some pretty impressive conversions and scratchbuilt stuff made by individuals for the 1/18 stuff..

And yes, these are toys, but they are getting much better.. I am very impressed with the new 32x aircraft coming out and I am looking forward to doing custom paint schemes and custom work on these..
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Saw 21st Century's stuff at the show last October, not bad for collectables. Sure they are "toys" but well done in my personal opinion.
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
There is a company, which makes AM decals to make them historically accurate. I will try to remember or find the name of the company.

EDIT: The name of the company is Vexillarius Decals. There is also another company named John's Stuff which has a few but the former has the largest selection and sets for specific vehicles. Sets from both companies are available from www.goodstufftogo.net.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
Wolf,
I have all the 1/18 Helicopters, I thought the Cobra was huge till I bought the Blackhawk Now I'd like to see a CH-46 - 47 in that scale Yeah someday I want to re-do them with plenty of detail.

wolfpack6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply's Folks
These things have alot of room for the emagination
You have to love this Hobby!
pilotman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 04:58 PM UTC
I know this threads a little old but I thought I'd add that BBi also has 1/18 scale, not as many as 21st century but they,re a little more detailed. A beautiful P-51 and Corsair.
21st century is coming out with a "pappy boyington" corsair and they've improved considerably.
Its hard to get super detailed at 1/18 scale and keep the price down. Good luck with custom detailing
 _GOTOTOP