_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Olive doesn't have to be Drab !
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC
Here is the latest pic of a current project of mine. It's Monogram's 1/48 P-61A Black Widow. I'm using both of Eduard's PE detail sets (interior and exterior).
I applied the decals to the Widow recently. They're from AeroMaster, for the aircraft "Moonhappy." This was the first P-61 to be credited with a victory, and was based on Saipan in 1944. The wingwalk stripes were easier than they look.

You can see pics of the PE frets and interior construction here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/widowbuild.htm

Thanks for letting me share the build with you !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi Bill!

Thanks for sharing the build! I'm looking forward to see the next steps...

I have this beast in my stash too (a lot of us have..) and I think I'll do the Green scheme too rather than the black one. I saw a color picture of a heavy weathered P-61 and I think I'll try this one... next year maybe.

I have a few questions about your model. Did you rescribe all the panel lines? I'm not sure by watching the pics... and can you tell us more about your choice of leaving the cowling flaps on one motor open and on the other closed... some "artistic" choice I presume...

The interior pics are great! I recommend everyone to take a look at them on your website!

Jean-Luc
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Thank you Jean-Luc !

I didn't rescribe the panel lines. At the moment, I'm applying a wash and it's turning out well. I'll describe the process when I post the finished pics.
The cowl flaps are not an option; they're molded that way. At first, I was a little upset about this, but I feel that it just adds to the aircraft being different. The cowl flaps are not as noticable on the more often built black scheme. If you check the clickable pic of the box art I included in the first block of images in my build article, you'll see the cowl flaps.

Thanks again !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Bill!

I've just checked my kit and... damn! Yes! One motor has closed flaps and the other has opened one!? I never noticed that!
I think we will always have such "surprises" with model kit manufacturers! What the hell do they have in their mind sometimes...
It wouldn't have been difficult to add the two options in the kit! Now I have to buy another one to have... hey! Wait! That's what the want us to do! buy two kits! Aaargh! These manufacturers are coming from Hell!

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP