Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-40 Build Update
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi guys. Here is another Hasegawa P-40 update. Sorry for so long between updates. Personal things and other matters took priority. I masked the clear parts with BareMetal Foil and applied dark green. Don't forget to paint the front and back edges of your canopy and windscreen, a small pointed brush will make this go easier and remember to take your time. I used baby oil with a Micro Brush to remove the residue from the BMF. Make sure you use a nice cotton cloth to wipe off the baby oil or you might scratch your clear parts. Intead of painting the yellow tips of the prop blades, I used some left over yellow decals from an Aeromaster sheet. When the decals were nice and dry I took a brand new blade and shaved off the excess decal film. I wanted to give the tires that dirty look, so I masked them with Tamiya tape and applied a light tan color.Here are the wheels and prop after being weathered. When you install the landing light under the wing, you might have to sand the edges of the clear part just a little bit to get it to fit.Here is one of the exhaust stacks that has been weathered. I did a dry fit of the landing gear to make sure everything was even. The kit decals went on very well and reacted nicely to a coat of MicroSol. They sunk down into the panel lines very well. I applied a wash with a mixture of Future, a little India Ink and a little Van Dyke Brown acryllic artist oil paint. The paint chipping was done with ModelMaster chrome silver mixed with Raw Umber artist oil paint that was dry brushed on the leading edges of the wings, engine cowl and the wing root.. I might of over done it a bit with the scratched paint. Can anyone tell me what the circles are under the "back windows" on the fuselage, I think they are lights, I installed some BMF to the holes but held off going any further until I know what these are.I can remove it if I have to. Thanks for looking everyone, I'll try not to be so long between updates, Wingman out.
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
I think that P40 looks great. I may have to give a try at an aircraft next
Darktrooper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 12:47 PM UTC
Wingman, looks good. I wouldn't worry about the paint scratches. My grandfather was a Ground Crewman for the Flying Tigers (AVG) and he always told us that whenever there were bullet holes, they'd chew up some buble gum then slap it over the hole.
 _GOTOTOP