1:48 P-63C Kingcobra: Need your opinion
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

I would like to buy an aircraft model in 1:48 scale: Bell P-63C Kingcobra in order to build my Indochina war collection.
There are 3 model kits: Fonderie Miniature, MPM and Hi-Tech - I need your opinion on building these kits: quality, accuracy, detail, etc.
All advice will be appreciated! Thank you.

Francois
BigBrother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:41 PM UTC
MPM or Hi-Tech like those two companies the best, FM has good resin but the plastic always seem to be grainey and in need of clean up. MHO for what its worth
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
I've built MPM's P-63A and C. The only difference being the strake added to the lower fuselage of the C. Here's a build article I wrote for the A: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/kingcobrabuild.htm
The MPM kits come with resin and a vac canopy, and the Hi-Tech kits come with PE (I'm unsure if the canopy is injected). FM kits typically come with roughly molded parts, and some contain white metal parts and vac canopies. All are limited-run type kits, and require dryfitting, trimming, filling, and sanding.
None of these are easy builds, with FM's kit being the most difficult. The MPM kit is good value for the money, but suffers from inaccurate wheel wells (I didn't correct mine).

Hope this helps !
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:26 PM UTC
Steve,
Thank you for a good advice.

Bill,
Many thanks for an excellent review of MPM P-63 Kingcobra, I will search for it to build. Happy to get your building experience.

Francois
 _GOTOTOP