_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
New modeler, intersted in modern aircraft
DrCJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'm a new modeler and I'm interested in starting out with modern military aircraft. I just have a couple of quick questions that I would really appreciate any help you all can give me.

Who do you recommend makes the best quality models? paints?

I was planning on starting out with 1/72 models. Is that a good idea? On average how long does it take from start to finish?

What tools/brushes.glues will I need?

Sorry if these seems really basic, just trying to understand what I need to do to get started and make sure i'm not in over my head. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone.

Thanks!
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
Great, you found the Aircraft Forum, the other folks will chime in soon I'm sure.
My answers are in your previous post
DrCJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
Yes I did Chuck. Thanks for your help!
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
best models generally are done by Hasegawa and Revell of Germany

Best paints can be anything you're comfortable with.

I tend to go with Humbrol and model master.

And yes, 1/72 is a good scale to start, allthough 1/48 is catching up quickly.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi Christopher!

I made some comments in the "introduction" forum, so you can check that out too...

One BIG question would be: do you use brushes or do you have an airbrush with compressor? The paint we would recommend are not the same for both options...

About the time needed for a kit... well... that really depend on many factors. When I have vacations I can build a model in few days because I spend more than 8 hours a day on it. If I have less time because I'm working, the same kit may take one month or more!
A single engined fighter is also much faster to build than a multi-engined aircraft. Building a Me163 and a B-29 is not quite the same!
Finally, mainstream manufacturer's kits are generally easier to build than multi-media short run kits. I wouldn't recommend you to try the later ones first if you are new to the hobby...

I'll stop here for now... maybe someone else can jump in with good advices!

Hope this helped a little bit...

Jean-Luc
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Fujimi and Academy also make some nice 1/72 modern aircraft. Italeri kits are good value but require a bit more work.

Personally I like acrylic paint and would recommend the Polly scale range.

What types of modern aircraft are you interested in ?

David
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 03:24 PM UTC
Btw, Kalmbach has some good books for the beginning modeler.
capnjock
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
I would recommend Revell and Tamiya as their models appear to be the most accurate.

1/72 is certainly a good scale to start on plus minor details can be seen on this scale.

For glues, i currently use the Humbrol Cement which has been working well for me since day 1.

What kind of modern aircraft are you into? US, Russian, China, British?
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
first of all , welcome on Armorama.

It's nice to see a modeller intressed in modern aircraft. Most builders prefer ww2 stuff.

Okay to the point now.

If you want quality and price doesn't matter try tamiya. They have a very nice ww2 range of aircraft.And some modern stuff aswel. A second one would be hasagewa. One of the best manufacturers out on the market. They offer a large range of WW2 and modern stuff.
If you love the idea of moddeling and dont't like the price tag of the companies mentionned above, go Revell Germany.A large section of modern aircraft. Nice molds and very good detail.
There are several other options to go conserning modern aircraft like Academy,Italeri,heller, and so on.

Regarding your question about material. If you have a budget buy an Airbrush, you'll get the finest results (especially certain camo-patterns and subtle weathering) .If you want to paint them the good old way buy the best brushes, don't use acrylics and go for enamel. ( Revell, Humbrol,..). In the case of an airbrush considder Tamiya Acrylics. There are several other brands , too much to mention. (or am i to lazy?
).
you'll need Liquid glue
CA, clear glue for attaching clear parts,...
And putty (Squadron, Tamiya, Mr.white, Vallejo,...)
I could mention plent of ither things too. I have many tools of the trade. You'll "collect" them if you carry on building.

I hope this helped you a little, there are so many things to say about this hobby. Check out the feature, gallery and all other sections on Armorama. You'll learn, i certainly did.

Regards,
Q

_GOTOTOP