_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
P-61A completed
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
I just finished Monogram's 1/48 P-61A Black Widow, and here are the final pics. I used both of Eduard's photoetched detail sets (interior and exterior), and AeroMaster decals. The markings depict "Moonhappy," the first P-61 credited with a victory. It was based on Saipan in 1944.

I applied a wash to the lower surfaces, along the raised lines. It took about four hours to remove the excess wash with a #000 brush, cleaning along either side of the raised panel lines. The wash turned out to be much darker than I had wished, but I was not going to redo it. I used a technical pencil to draw the panel lines on the top surfaces, after the model had been dullcoated. It took less time, but I'm not pleased with the color.

I tried to save a buck by buying some house-brand frosty tape to mask the canopies. Every pane was fouled with adhesive. I dipped Q-Tips in isopropyl alcohol and swabbed the windows. When it dried, I used dape to daub the remaining goo. Each window was then brush coated with Future. This took about three hours to accomplish. I threw the house-brand tape in the trash, and bought some more Scotch frosty tape. Scotch has NEVER left adhesive behind, and I'll never use anything else.

I lost many of the small parts during final assembly, so I scratchbuilt replacements. These included antennas, and one of the "spoiler" attachment pieces. After taking the pics, I noticed that the left main wheel moved out of alignment. After all the hiurs I've put into this build in the past few days, I'll let it sit as is until I fix it. I'm a little burnt out on this kit right now.

Hope you like it, and thanks for letting me share the build with you !

The progress pics can be found here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/widowbuild.htm
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
Nice build. I like the red wheels. Nice touch
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Bill!

Great job! Apart from the wheel you mentionned... sad you didn't noticed it before the pics.

The panel work is excellent... I never would have known they are raised! I also like the various shades of green (wheel bays) and the red walkway lines are looking great too. Are they from the kit's decals or from the aftermarket sheet?

Jean-Luc
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 05:07 PM UTC
Looks very nice. The Black Widow has always been a favorite of mine...if memory serves me, I have 1 (maybe 2) in the basement stash.

Jim
moJimbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
.... very very very very impressive bill! ..i like it very much!
Nitro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
That's a very beautifull aircraft. congratulations. I really like de decals
BigBrother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:05 AM UTC
Excellent work on such an old kit looks good!
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
Very nice build there Bill. I especially like the panel highlights and the fuselag most.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:24 AM UTC
Thank you very much Alan, Jean-Luc, Jim, moJimbo, Davy, Steve, and Jeremy !

Jean-Luc - the wingwalks are from the AeroMaster sheet. They are printed in segments, and join along the straight lines rather than the corners. This makes the alignment positive. They are the most trouble-free wingwalk decals I've ever used.

Jim - a lot of people seem to have this kit, but you don't see many of them built. It's a kit on which you can use the basic skills you've acquired over the years.

Glad you like it, and thanks again !
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 12:44 AM UTC
Bill, only going to echo what the others have said, nice looking build. You're right, you don't see a whole lot of these built up. I've got one underway, that was shelved just before I started moving. I think I am going to crack it open again once I get into our new house in December. Thanks again for sharing. "Q"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Bill,

Do you ever get tired of having well-deserved praise heaped upon you?

Perhaps it is time to start mine. I was going to do the HE-219 for the nightfighter build...
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
woow , pretty impressive work you have there. I've checked your site after seeing this beautiful P-61.
I love the way you build your models , clean and with some subtle weathering.

Keep 'em comming.

Q
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Thank you Matthew, Fred, and Quinten !

Matthew - if you're going to do the OD/NG scheme, make sure you have plenty of paint. The black plastic makes multiple coats necessary.

Fred - reading the things people have to say is humbling, but it's not why I post the pics. I like to share my work with others, and let them see what's in a kit's box or a detail set. I also enjoy helping others who may want to build a particular kit, but run into difficulties. I do a lot of things differently from most modelers, and sometimes a different approach can help someone leave their "comfort zone," and build the kits they want to have on their shelves. The internet is the greatest place in the world to do that !

Quinten - my display case will one day be a 1/48 museum setting, so I keep the builds clean. I also enjoy the challenge of not being able to hide anything with weathering.

Thanks again !
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Matthew, Fred, and Quinten !

Matthew - if you're going to do the OD/NG scheme, make sure you have plenty of paint. The black plastic makes multiple coats necessary.

Bill, Thanks, I already figured that. Just glad to hear you confirm it. I have cut all the control surfaces on mine and rescribed it as well. The PE sets are about a nightmare. So many fiddly pieces and they are everywhere! Hopefully mine will look close to yours. Thanks again. "Q"
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 03:42 PM UTC
OK...after looking at your build I have to add this to my "To Build" list.

Fantastic looking job on one of the baddest looking warplanes ever!

Jim

And I have 2 of them in my inventory... cool
dsmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
Nice job, as that kit is really hard to build up to look good!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fred - reading the things people have to say is humbling, but it's not why I post the pics. I like to share my work with others, and let them see what's in a kit's box or a detail set. I also enjoy helping others who may want to build a particular kit, but run into difficulties. I do a lot of things differently from most modelers, and sometimes a different approach can help someone leave their "comfort zone," and build the kits they want to have on their shelves. The internet is the greatest place in the world to do that !

Bill as usual your work is inspiring and in this case you have inspired me to get hold of the Eduard PE sets and get on with my own P-61and not wait for whoever it was that said they would produce a new one. I will have to finish re-scribing the thing first though
Mal
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 06:10 AM UTC
congradulations on finishing that kit! I've tried two seperate times with the monogram p-61 and just didn't have the patience to finish it the way i wanted it done. while your build up shows it can be done, i'm just going to continue to sit it out until someone releases a new 1/48 of this lovely AC.
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:23 AM UTC
Bill,

Beautitful job on such a challenging kit. I've got two of these in the stash now, just waiting for the chance to dive back into them. I remember struggling with this one as a kid.

I love the OD/NG scheme, especially as 99% of the builds you see online are the black.

Congrats on the terrific build and thanks for the inspiration that it can be really built!

- Frank
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
Bill.
Another awesome finished model.
I agree with what you say about not weathering and your museum idea.Sometimes its nice to see "prestine" examples, and it certainly makes yours stand out,espescially that P47 you showed recently.
Very inspiring work.I just look at them and think,,"one day"!!!!
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:56 PM UTC
Very nice Bill, yet another inspiring piece of work.
I would never have guessed that you drew the top panel lines on. Has the whole kit got raised panel lines ?
Andy (++)
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Bill, you did an excellent job.
How about submitting it for an ON DISPLAY?

OH Scotch also makes a LOW tack frosty tape, if you ever need to use a low tack tape. It's the one in the BLUE plaid box.
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
I'm stunned! Outstanding build. We were just looking at this kit for a group build, and I just wish you had completed the kit sooner...may have helped the cause (no they are looking at a bigger kit, KIDS!!). Love the front tire too, nice touch.

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
hello bill! i've been keeping an eye on this, on your site ever since i saw the little lamp you put in the rear gunner/radar ops position, i thought that was a nice touch. reading your post here about the washes and cockpit masking, you must have the patience of a saint! i enjoy seeing your stuff, keeps up the inspiration level for me, nice one
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
Bill,
When it comes to TWINS the P-61 is my FAV. And knowing the pedigree of the subject(the kit is a %&#@!) you did a Fantastic job finishing her. I like the selected artwork too. Nice job on the upper panel lines,
and finish. I know what you mean when you say this kit burns you out. There is so much to fix, and improve. the days of mono wanting removable panels and features sacraficed construction ease. NICE JOB!!!
 _GOTOTOP