_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AC-130
ARMDCAV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Apologies to all my Armor brothers. I have purchased a wingy thingy kit. The box identifies it as an AC-130. Yes it has rather large sponsons. Looking for the tracks but havn't found them yet. Must be a Christie design with removable tracks. Think it might be an APC, theres a personel egress ramp on the back. But then again it mounts a 150 mm cannon and 20 & 40mm coax so maybe it is a tank with an attitude.
unfortunetly there arn't any instructions or decals in the kit I bought so unless anyone steps forward and offers to (HELP) me figure this thing out I'm just gonna have to wing (tounge in cheek here ) it.
Seriously though, I don't build airplanes but have always been impressed with the spectors. I'm sure that like most kits it's going to be pretty basic so if you can recommend sites for this aircraft or have pictures and advice I would be most grateful. I wasn't kidding about no instructions or decals so if anyone can help me here I would be in your debt. Decals arn't a biggy but no instructions kinda sucks.
My email is [email protected]
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
What scale and by who is it made. I am assuming it is either the Italeri 1/72 or 1/48 scale kit. I have built both and they are great kits. By the way, the cannon is only a 105mm howitzer, 150mm would be great, but a little too big for the Spectre to handle.

ARMDCAV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
My bad. Fat finger syndrome ya know. 105 mm it is. It's the Italeri 1/48 kit. Really big box.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
Yup, big box, big model. It comes out great. The one big thing missing is the gun operators' control center that takes up most of the cargo area. There was a great article in the AUG '88 issue of FSM on building the 1/72 Italeri AC-130. It includes scale drawing for the gun operators' control center and other parts that are missing in both kits. I used this article to add these items to my 1/48 kit that you can see in my Showcase II below. All you hav eto do is enlarge the drawings on a copier and make the parts. I believe it gives the percentages to enlarge by in the article as well. I highly recommend getting a copy of the mag to add to the kit.

AUG '88 FSM

Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP