_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Rigging help!
SgtDinkyduck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 10:59 AM UTC
I got a wierd bug and decided to try one of these flying contraptions. hehe

I mostly do armor but this Neiuport 17 Acadamy kit caught my eye

now the problem i am having is attaching this rigging to the wings, and tail. what is the easyet way to do this? i have a system of clamps/claws/pure luck to get these wires attached.

any easyer way to do this?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Noah!

I use this method to do my rigging:
I first drill holes with my special "weapon", a toothpick with a 0,3 mm drill bit. A 1mm hole is enough. Then I put some SuperGlue (Cyanoacrylate) on the end of my fishing thread (0,14) and gently put it in the hole with tweezers... after a few seconds the thread is glued in place!

One important thing is to drill the holes in the direction of the thread. Otherwise, the thread will bend and it would not be very aesthetic...
When doing a biplane, first paint and decal the upper wing then glue it to the struts and fuselage and finally do the rigging. But don't forget to drill the holes before!

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC
I can agree with Jean - Luc mostly. My version is almost the same except I don't paint the upper surface of the top wing or the lower surface of the bottom wing. I wait until the area between the wings is fully rigged. It easier to scrap glue or mistakes from these wide open areas than it is between the wings.

Once finished just take a bit of extra care with your paint and decals. Also do NOT drill into struts. Drill into rthe wing area adjacent to the strut in question..
 _GOTOTOP