_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/35 MRC AH IT+ Super Cobra
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
Has anyone built one? And if so what were you impressions with it. Is it worth buying?

Any help is appriciated,
Thanks
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
It is a great kit. It is the same kit as the MRC/Academy and reboxed by Italeri AH-1W. The AH-1T+ was the name of the prototype, but was changed to AH-1W when it went into production and was fielded. It builds up into a ODS era AH-1W straight from the box. You will need different decals for it though, as the kit only comes with the demonstrator "Gold Cobra" decals. Two Bobs Aviation Graphics does a great set of decals that include ODS era AH-1Ws in it. It is their Whiskey's in the Mix set.

For a more up to date AH-1W, Cobra Company has the NTS (Night Targeting System), the latest upgrade for it. Here is the CC set.

Overall, it is a great kit. I highly recommend it and have made two, with another in the stash to be used with the Two Bobs decals and CC NTS upgrade.
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
Verlinden makes a nice cockpit update set as well, and that really adds a lot to this model with all the glass... Like heavy said, Cobra also has a replacement cockpit.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
Daniel,
They are an excellent kit, having built three including the Cobra Company’s NTS “Night Targeting System”
The kits have very little flash, everything went together well and only had to use some putty when joining the fuselage together. I have an extra set of kit decals from kit No# 2193 that your welcome to have. As Gino stated, Two Bobs whisky in the mix are an excellent set to have. I did a review on the here,

Link,
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/765

Some time ago I started the resin NTS kit, though I never finished it. The only tricky part of the kit is that you have to cut the kit nose off and replace it with the resin one that was supplied. Following the instruction closely resulted with no problems.As for the rest of the resin kit, again very little flash, easy assemble and the instruction are easy to follow.
smithery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 10:43 AM UTC
If you can find it, AFV Club did the AH-1W kit as well. Same plastic as the Academy/MRC kit, but they also included a replacement nose and cannon in resin, as well as turned aluminum barrels.

Decal sheet is for ROCA aircraft, and provides an interesting alternative to the USMC markings by TwoBobs.
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:57 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the responses guys,

Usually I tend to stay away from aircraft but I have always wanted to branch into 1/35 helos and from what you all have had to say about this kit is sounds great. The reason I asked was I just got one on Ebay for only $7.00 (couldn't pass that up). I think I will buy the twobob's decals but am not sure about the Cobra NTS cockpit and may get the Verlinden set instead.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all of the responses guys,

Usually I tend to stay away from aircraft but I have always wanted to branch into 1/35 helos and from what you all have had to say about this kit is sounds great. The reason I asked was I just got one on Ebay for only $7.00 (couldn't pass that up). I think I will buy the twobob's decals but am not sure about the Cobra NTS cockpit and may give the Verlinden set instead.

From all I have heard, the CC set is much better than the Verlinden one. Even if you just use the cockpit and don't feel comfortable cutting the nose, it will still look better and add a lot to the model. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the Verlinden set. The CC one is great.
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice Gino. I will probably order the CC set and just go for it nose and all. If anything does go wrong (which i doubt it will) it can't be too hard to mend. I guess it's time to break out the optivisor, it's been a while since I have done a cockpit.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 04:10 PM UTC
Dan,
Yeah don’t get discouraged by it, I had my CC kit sitting in the drawer for the longest time. I was so intimated about cutting the nose off and messing it up really bad. Then one day I said to myself “hey it’s not heart surgery” and it worked out well. If and when you do get the resin kit and if you have any questions, feel free to call on me.
 _GOTOTOP