_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
HE-219 Colors Pix
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:20 PM UTC
2006, April 12 addition I just received confirmation that the below questioned color is RLM 84. The source is the museum project manager for the restoration of the He-219. To read his letter to me, please go here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=forums/74461&page=1

EDITED: 12 OCT: HE-219's official factory scheme was overall 76 with tight 75 mottel. Lo, some were overall 22 with a mottel of 02 and 75. I am convinced this is the scheme of this sole surviving -219. I have not heard back from any of my inquireries.

Hi All,

The only known HE-219 Uhu in existence, on display ay Udvar-Hazy, the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum. I shot her this weekend. She sets right next to a restored Do-335 Pfeil!

No info except that it was captured by the British in Denmark (?), flight-tested at Freeman Field near Seymour, Indiana. I am guessing that the paint where the wing would attach is original, and the rest is Smithsonian's restoration.

None that the camo isn't the ubiquitous portrayed spots, rather a zillion ribbon-squiggles! Also, it appears that the squiggle color is that controversial color known as RLM-84!

NEW: Below is a discussion about the color of the squiggels. I have added the DO-335 pic and these of the FW-190 since. I added them for comparisions. Note that the Uhu is near some skylights while the FW-190 is about 15M away towards the center of the area. Both were shot with my flash.

It is known that the FW-190 is sporting RLM 76. To me the Uhu's squiggs look a bit too greenish to be RLM 76.

I look forward to any discussion.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Fred!

Thanks for sharing! I plan to remove the paint of the He 219 I made 5 years ago. I did a bad paintjob on it and want to bring the model to my new "standards" :-)

I suppose the darker colors are the original ones! It's great to see how the painter worked on that particular plane. I'll do the same camo on my "new-old" model...

Thanks again Fred!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
Nice one Fred I have pics of this before she was put together, it is how I confirmed (for myself) that the uppersurface was Squiggles of RLM 76 (84) over RLM 75, and not splotches of 75 sprayed over 76. This also explains the Tamiya painting instructions (75 over 76) where the 75 splotches are an odd shape to have been sprayed and ther is no way anyone would mask and spray all those shapes.
I think the squggles would be RLM 76 though (unless you have it on good authority)
Mal
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the squggles would be RLM 76 though (unless you have it on good authority)
Mal

Hi Mal,

So far (though I have asked several sources including one at NASM) the only authority I have is my eyesight, comparing it to the RLM 76 on the bottom of the DO-335 that it was right next to. The squiggs do not look blue. I scrutinized it a great deal, stepping aside to view both the HE & DO from different angles. I just inserted a pix of both with the 3 of the HE.

The darker colors are the originals: Luftwaffe Discussion Answers

When/if I hear from anyone, I'll keep us all posted.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
From the pics the underside colour on the Do335 looks like RLM 65 and the Squggles on the He 219 do look like RLM 76 to me. RLM 76 is a very light blue grey, RLM 65 is much bluer. If the Do 335 has upper surfaces in RLM 70/71 then the undersurface is definately RLM 65. (The upper surfaces look as if they might be RLM 81 and 83, but it is hard to tell from the pic.
Mal
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the pics the underside colour on the Do335 looks like RLM 65 and the Squggles on the He 219 do look like RLM 76 to me. RLM 76 is a very light blue grey, RLM 65 is much bluer. If the Do 335 has upper surfaces in RLM 70/71 then the undersurface is definately RLM 65. (The upper surfaces look as if they might be RLM 81 and 83, but it is hard to tell from the pic.
Mal

Hi Mal,

Pfeil is RLM 81 (the bright green, or is it 83?), the other color I'm not certain. It is RLM 65 on the bottom as it is far more blue than the FW-190's RLM 76.

I'm still waiting to hear from NASM about the squiggles, but I scrutinized that color and really don't believe it is 76. It has too much of a green to it. I walked to the 20 feet to and fro the restored FW-190 and compared it's 76 to the colors of the Uhu. They didn't look the same.

Of course there is the controversy of RLM 84. The Official Monogram color book, etc., has stated that RLM 84 was a real color, not just the argued badly mixed RLM 76. Up until reading that I was in the 'no such color as RLM 84' camp, but now I will accept it.

I really hope to hear from NASM, and Armorama will be the first to know
 _GOTOTOP