_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Model of the Month (MOM) October
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:07 PM UTC
Post your entries for the MOM for October here.

Please read the following.
1. Do not forget to add information about the model, voters will be encouraged to check this out before voting and it may influence thier vote
2. Only post 3 pics, no composits
3. change, please read The first picture that you post will be used in the voting thread. (This will save me alot of time checking out your favourite) The first picture that you post will be the one used in the voting thread

Lets see if we can get an even better turn out this month.
Mal
Darktrooper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
This is an ME-262A1-a flown by Major Rudolf Sinner of III/ JG7. His Swallow had the Wikingerschiff bomb racks for the W.Gr21 (214MM diameter!!!!) Rockets. Other Aircraft had the "Orkans" which had ten 55mm rockets on each wing.

This is the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit and was built straight out of the box., The camoflauge pattern was achieved by using blue painters tape, and painted by hand with Dunkelgrun and Scwarzgrun, the underside is Hellblau. The wings and the elevators and rudder got a wash of black to bring out the panel lines. Then the model was sprayed with a light coat Testors dullcote.

The Allies were supremely lucky more of these planes were not built and qualified pilots to fly them. The Few the Germans did have wreaked havoc on US bomber formations. The favorite German tactic was to launch the rockets, then scream in with cannons blazing.

Rhinosd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 05:22 AM UTC
P-39Q (Eduard 1/48 scale kit) with Cutting Edge resin cockpit set and Cutting Edge decals for "Snooks 2nd," the mount of then Captain, later Major Bill Shomo (CMOH). Airbrushed with Tamiya Acrylics, preshaded, post faded and weathered with thinned oil paint and pastels.

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Here is my entry for October MoM.

This is the Monogram 1/48 scale Do 335 that was built as the Nightfighter version using the kit supplied parts, the model was built OOB with no AM resin or PE added.
Model MasterII enamel paints were used and the model was painted with my 22 year old Badger 150 airbrush.
Decals used are mostly from the Cutting Edge Do 335 sheet and a few from my spares box.

Matrixone
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi. Here is my entry for MOM October. This is the Hasegawa P-40 in 1/48 scale. The kit was basically built out of the box with the molded on lights removed and replaced with the clear parts that were included in the kit. The panel lines on the rear fuselage were rescribed due to sanding the seam where the rear plug was attached. The kit exhaust stacks were drilled out. The kit gunsight was replaced with a photo-etch item. Brake lines were added to the landing gear using beading wire. Floquil and ModelMaster paints were used. The decals from the kit were applied over a coat of Future. A wash of Future, India ink and Vandyke Brown was applied to the entire model. The worn away paint was acheived by drybrusing a mixture of ModelMaster chrome silver and raw umber artist oil paint. Thanks for looking,Wingman out.
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 07:52 AM UTC
Here's a Fairey Firefly FR.I as flown by the Royal Canadian Navy.

The kit is the Grand Phoenix 1/48 Firefly I, with the Airwaves etched wing fold set. I scratchbuilt the radar hardpoint under the fuselage, and the decals came from the Belcher set.

Paint is a mix of Tamiya and Gunze shades.

SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
My entry is a R/M 48th scale F4J Blue Angel. The only AM parts I used were the engine parts, which were kindly provided courtesy of Jack @ 3rd Wire models.

Testors MM enamels were used exclusively.

I painted some of the yellow markings in lieu of using the decals....wing and tail tips specifically.

My 1st try at MOM....such as it is.
smithery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC
Model is the new tool 1:32 Hasegawa Fw190D-9. Model was built in two weeks from start to finish, as a quick and dirty project to keep myself entertained while my wife was out of town.

Aftermarket was kept to a minimum (for me anyway). Resin used were the EagleParts corrected radiator cowl and corrected gun cowl. EagleCals supplied the decals for 'White 12' of JG301.

Underside "greenish RLM76" (aka RLM84) was painted using Tamiya J.A. Grey (XF-14) mixed with a few drops of white. Natural metal areas on the underside of the wing is Alclad, and the camo colors are supplied by Xtracolor.

Thanks for looking.
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
My entry for MoM October.

It's a 1:48 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.Vb. This is built almost Out-Of-the-Box. I just added Eduard Photo Etched seatbelts and stretch sprues for the antennae wires. The markings are kit decals. The white identification markings and tail band are painted on. I used Model Master enamel paints. The model depicted is from No.302 (Polish) flown by W/Cdr Witorzenc , commanding the 1st polish wing based at Heston.

CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
MoM October:

Classic Airframes 1:48 Fiat CR.42 CN "Falco" Nightfighter
Built OOB for an IPMS/USA review article .
I chose to paint the model as a machine with 300o Squadron, 167o Gruppo Autonomo Caccia Notturna, Rome-Ciampino, circa 1942.

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Vb Trop, OOB except for Eduard pre painted seatbelts.
The camo was airbrushed with Xtracrylix acrylic.
The panel lines were done with a wash of Burnt Umber, darkened with pencil lead powder and then the paintwork was faded with Mig pigments.

KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 439 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi,

My entry for the MOM october 2005.

It is the 1/48 Monogram B29. It was hollow engraved, and foiled with alu tape, each panel at a time. One can see the gloss black undesurfaces, depicting a 1945 B29 used for night bombing. White bombs aside are flamers, and not std explosives, this is why they are white.

Regards,

Richard
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:01 AM UTC
I'm running out of completed models, so I'll try this one again. It is tamiya's 1/72 bubbletop p-47 done for the double take campaign here on armorama. I built it out of box, except I used some am decals for the insignias and cut the numbers from somewhere else. I also scratch built some seatbelts with foil and solder. The idea came to me by someone else's post where they had done some profiles of p-47s in the navy tri-colored scheme and said what if the navy had decided on p-47s. So I thought wouldn't it be cool to see a p-47 in the atlantic scheme (one of my favorite paint jobs).

By the way I am working on a tamiya 1/72 razorback right now. These are amazing kits. I haven't done a 1/48 yet, but these 1/72 ones are great!!

The pictures:

Thanks for looking,
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi all!

This is my entry for this month's MOM: Fliegerhorts's 1/48 Gotha P60C Nachtjäger.
This is my first full resin kit and it was build out of the box except for the gear bay doors, antennas and the decals. The later came from the spare box as there was none included in the kit. Apart from the cleaning of the resin parts and the installation of the vacuformed canopy, the build was straightforward.
What is interesting in "What if?" planes is that you have room for speculation. I decided to give my Gotha a "Totenkopf" to go with the antennas... never heard of the "Totenkopf" Geschwader?

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
My entry for this months MOM is Revells 1/48 Curtiss SB2C-4 Helldiver.
1. Built OOB.
2. Painted with Lifecolor Acrylic paints.
3. Decals are from the kit, as are the etched seat belts and flaps/dive brakes.
4. The only improvements/additions to the kit were cutting off and swapping over the interior area of the dive brakes, the plastic parts, as the detail is on the wrong side. I also drilled out the 200+ holes in these parts. I also made the life raft out of folded tussue paper, soaked in white glue and water.
5. Weathering was done with a artist oil and white spirit wash, paint fading using a light overspray of very thin Medium Sea Grey. Oil streaks, grease marks etc were done with small dabs of neat oil paint “dragged back” with a cotton bud or finger. Paint chipping was achieved with a silver pencil.

Mal
archerwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
here's my share for this month's MOM.

This is Tamiya's 1/48 Spitfire Mk. I. Built OOB including the decals.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:04 PM UTC
Great line up guys, just a reminder that entry to this MOM will close at midnight GMT tonight Sunday 16th October.
Mal
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 10:29 PM UTC
I'd like to tell everyone they all look great....
It's going to be a rough month for judging.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
heres my entry, literally finished a couple of hours ago. don't you just love deadlines! its also my entry in the two wings and a prayer campaign. its an airfix kit built oob with the exception of a few scratchbuilt tweaks-
pitot tube made from fine speaker wire with foil brackets, fuel line from fuse wire, control horns from a part (manufacturers name) set and rigging from fine fishing line. the pilot figures are in to hide the minimal i.e. none, cockpit interior

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC
My North African P-40F, one of the few short-tailed Fs USAAF took to war. AMT's kit built about 5 years ago.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 02:36 PM UTC

My Revell AG FW-190. Built OOB except for the swastika.

Kit went well together. Standard Revell AG interior--sparse. Standard day-scheme 74/75/76, Polly Scale
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Entry to the October MOM is now closed, the voting is open. A great turnout, good luck everyone.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP