_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Wyvern experts, I need your help!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
As some of you might know, I'm currently building trumpeter's 1:72 westland wyvern. Now I've got the model primed and the suez stripes painted on. Then I noticed that the paint scheme I chose differs from the box top painting. They both depict the same machine, "378" (WP337 830 Sqn HMS Eagle, 1956). The painting guide shows the plane with the engine cowling (the part directly after the double spinner, which goes inside the fuselage) painted dark sea grey, while the box top show the part being painted sky.

I got even more confused after searching for reference pics. This one was been painted so that the cowling is both sky and dark sea grey, so the dark sea grey continues from the fuselage. But this example shows the cowling being sky, but the box top of the kit has it dark sea grey.
And on this one it's aluminium!

Which one is correct?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:27 AM UTC
LOL! Eetu

That's a lot to chose between! I'll look in the 4+ book and see if there's a pic...

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:32 AM UTC
A Search on google came up with a load of pics, all they did was prove that there was no set rule - all three options are seen. You really need a pic of that aircraft I'm afraid.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi again

4+ show Sky in a drawing of "378" and most (not all...) photos in the book also show Sky on other Wyverns. A pre-Suez photo of "378" shows Sky...

I hope this helps

Rowan
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:46 PM UTC
Thanks. I'll go with sky then.

Now, after looking at those other models more carefully, I noticed that most have a framed lower edge on the front canopy sides. Trumpeter kit has no frame on this area. And a nice sprue attachment point on both sides... I was thinking about painting a frame there to hide the ugly marks, but ended up going by the instructions. Fortunately, carefull trimming and a little future conceals the marks to some extent.

_GOTOTOP