_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hold Or Fold--Pfalz D.XII
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi All,

This is Toko's 1/72 Pfalz. What looked like a fine, well detailed lil' kit, until assembly began.

The strut setting holes on the lower wing are good, but the holes on the top wing are nowhere near aligned. As a result, I attached the struts to the lower wing and allowed them to dry. Even after clamping the upper wing to the table and setting the struts on it, aligning and supergluing, the upper wing is offset

Now the wing is firmly attached and lopsided.

So whaddaya think, junk it or just finish it?

archerwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:07 PM UTC
JPTRR,
"finish" the plane and include it in a small dio of a crashed plane...

the lopsided wing will not be that detectable in that kind of diorama...

-archerwin
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hi Fred

It's hard to tell in the photos, but the yellow chevrons look more crooked than the wing itself - the leading and trailing edges don't actually look too bad in the first two photos, but the yellow marks are way off. Are they part of the kit decor, or something you've added to highlight the problem?

Have you tried measuring things with a pair of dividers to see if the strut locations are the culprit or whether the struts are different lengths?

I've got the parts for Special Hobby's 1/48 scale D.XII cleaned up. Although it's a different kit, your misfortune has reminded me that I should build it in a simple jig to avoid a similar problem.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
If it bugs you get out your Xacto slice off the top wing at the top of the struts. Re-bend the struts. The wing gap looks like it could use a little closing. Patch your old strut holes andf re-drill the new ones. Re-attach the top wing when satisfied. Just my opinion.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's hard to tell in the photos, but the yellow chevrons look more crooked than the wing itself - the leading and trailing edges don't actually look too bad in the first two photos, but the yellow marks are way off. Are they part of the kit decor, or something you've added to highlight the problem?

Hi Guys, thanks for the input.

Merlin, the yellow was put on before the wing was attached. It is aligned along the wing's cut-out. It is the wing that is misaligned laterally.

Jackflash, I'll probably do that, nip the struts and remount.

I wonder what the gear struts will eb like
 _GOTOTOP