Hosted by Rowan Baylis
JU 88 in 1/48 Scale
Dhepee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
I'm on the hunt for a new kit, a JU 88 in 1/48 scale. Is there anything besides the Dragon Kit, which I heard bad things about, bad tooling was the review I saw?

I'm on a big WWII bomber kick right now.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Dhepee,

I built the DML/Dragon/Pro-Modeler/Revell-Monogram /1/48 JU-88A-4. Unless you want to got vacuform, it is the only choice.

The complaint is that, like Hasegawa is now doing with their P-40 series, the kit is modular so they can make several marks with a basic sprue set.

I found it mainly went together well, the only bad parts being the cockpit section of the fuselage mating with the rear fuselage, and the wing extentions. Both need filler. Otherwise, I thought it was a good kit. Not much, as I recall.

My JU-88
Dhepee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:57 PM UTC
Thanks. Yours looks good.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hey Dhepee and Fred !

Fred's right, unless you manage to uncover one of those old Hobbycraft Ju- 88's that are rare as hen's teeth.

I'd started my Pro-Modeller 88A a month or so ago (which means it'll get done around 2009) and I found that the tip I'd read in several places - gluing each extension half to its corresponding wing half before joining the wing halves - makes the seam filling a lot more manageable. You don't have to deal with steps in the wing-tip joint that way.

Also, the cockpit gives a fairly positive alignment for the forward fuselage halves.

HTH
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fred's right, unless you manage to uncover one of those old Hobbycraft Ju- 88's that are rare as hen's teeth.

Hi there

I've got an old Hobbycraft Ju 88 stashed away... I wouldn't recommend hunting for one - it's rough! :-) :-)

All the best

Rowan
JU-88c6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
Im currently building a 1/48 JU88 at the moment its made by monogram and i rate it as a fairly good kit i only really had prob with gaps between the wing and fusulage everything else went smooth at the painting stage now will post picks when done

John
 _GOTOTOP