_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What to make HUD with?
Tapper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hello gentlemen. Can anyone share with me a tip or trick they may have on how to make the green screen in an aircrafts HUD. Much appreciated!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hey Tapper,
If your talking about the screens in the instrument panels, then what I would use is a dark gray. Once dry then I'll use Tamiyas clear green X-25.

The HUD "heads up display" is a glass panel in front of the cockpit that shows the important navgation and weapons infomation.

Edit: Not sure what scale your doing, but I've done this a few times in 1/35, 1/32 scale. Doing what I said at top but to bring out the number-lettering in said panels, I added some white dotting over the gray using a pin, then applied the clear green over the top.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Tapper, if you are going for the HUD as in Joes second picture I have found that using party confetti is awesome. At the Hobby Lobby's here, they sell it by the bagful. Its little plastic stars, diamonds, circles or whatever shape you want really. It consists of multiple layers of thin plastic that can be peeled apart. Once cut to the size and shape of the HUD, they can be glued with white glue, Future, Krytal Kleer etc. They will reflect the light in different shades of blues, reds, greens etc. If you would like some, let me know and I'll pick you up a bag and send it your way. A bag is enough for hundreds if not thousands of aircraft. HTH "Q"
Tapper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
those are great tips guys, THANKS!

Matthew, I know just whatr you're talking about. I'm off to go buy some now. Thanks!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC
Outstanding! Just remeber to seperate the laminations. You will be amazed at how good these look once you get them on. Glad to have helped. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP