_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AH-1W Verlinden update problem!!
Tapper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
I'm building Academy's AH1-W Super Cobra in 1:35th scale. I purchased Verlinden's cockpit update set which is basically a new cockpit from head to toe.

I finished assembling and after about 12 hours total painting time I go to install it into the frame of the helo and it isnt long enough!

When I align it where its supposed to be, there is about a half inch gap at the front. If I move it forward to where the gunner's console is supposed to be(aligned under the nose) there is a huge gap in the back!

HELP!!

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
I haven't built the Verlinden cockpit, but heard it had problems. Looks to me like the rear bulkhead is too vertical. It should angle back at quite an angle. That would give you more length. Sorry, can't help more. I'll be using the Cobra Company NTS conversion cockpit myself.
Tapper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
You hit the nail right on the head, Gino.

I took the rear wall off and test fitted the rest of the cockpit. I then put the rear wall in on a steeper angle and it seemed to do the trick.
corsutton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
I built the Verlinden cockpit and found another problem with it as well. The gunner's right side console is wrong. There needs to be an arm rest back where they have the stick going. I scratchbuilt the armrest and move the stick. Overall I love the cockpit. It went together well and had excellent detail. I did have the same fit problem. I put the cockpit forward where it was supposed to go and then formed some thin styrene around the bulkhead to fill in the gap. I don't think it looks too bad. I'll try to get you guys a picture here so you can see the fix.
corsutton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
Ok here goes the pictures.

Notice the arm rest pad next to the seat on the right side.

Note the extended bulkhead.

Another shot of the extended bulkhead.

So not perfect but overall I am satisfied.
 _GOTOTOP