Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 109E
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:56 AM UTC
Here's one I've just finished, Revell's Bf 109E. As no swastikas are included I searched for a colour scheme that didn't use them. During the Battle of Britain JG53 had used the Ace of Spades as an emblem for their aircraft. Herman Goering, in a fit of pique at finding that the commanding officer of JG53 had a Jewish wife ordered that all aircraft should have a red stripe painted down the cowling to cover the aircraft emblem.

After the CO was transfered Goering allowed the red stripe to be removed, but as a sign of protest over the incident the squadron had all the aircraft swastikas overpainted with the camo colours.

As a side note anyone looking for unusual Bf 109E camo schemes would do well to check out JG53 aircraft, they had an interesting variety of schemes that stand out from the more typical schemes of the period.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC
Martin - Very nice job as usual - excellent adaptation to account for no swastikas
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Martin an excellant looking Bf 109, I've read about this incedent, but I didn't realise that the aircraft involved carried such wonderful schemes.
Looks like another entry into next months MOM
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Martin!

Nice one! And with an interesting story as bonus!

Thanks for sharing!

Jean-Luc
 _GOTOTOP