_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Revell 1/48 He111 H22
KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
KitMaker: 439 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi all,

Let me introduce you to my little dio depicting a park area for this He111 in the Netherlands, near Venloo... The V1 was put under the wing just prior to the parking, meaning the next mission is coming soon.

The Kubelwagen ain't Tamiya's, it is a resin one from a Hungarian Cy.

I ended this project in 2004, by the end of the year.

Comments welcome

Regards

Richard
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Richard,

No THIS is one fine diorama!

Where to begin? The revetment with the grass coming up through the planking is a model in itself. Beautiful work! Nit-pik: Consider a touch of POL (Petrol, oil, lubricants) stains here and there. Are the vertical beams of the cribwork a different color?

The -111 looks like an excellent build. Your seam work is commendable. That night camo is striking and your paint chipping is excellent. Nit-pik: consider some POL stains on the service ports of the nacelles and wings. Also paint the radiators inside the intakes.

I would be happy to claim this as my own--great job!

KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi Fred,

Thx for your comments !

I should add some POL stains, for sure, as well as a wire antenna on the Heinkel, and some yellow paint splotches by the mech's feet, painting with a "brush"...

I will add all this !

As regards the seams on the plane : Tamiya putty. The alu scratches : a brand new X-Acto blade, and scratch the RLM surfaces gently off.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Richard
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Richard

I agree with Fred's comments about adding a few more stains, but the groundwork makes a really effective base to show off the Heinkel - very nice work on the disruptive camouflage there ... Also, perhaps the mechanic should have a bucket or tray of the yellow paint.

Would you consider writing a short article on how you constructed the planking and added the vegetation? - I'm sure it would be a great help to many of us.

All the best

Rowan
KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Would you consider writing a short article on how you constructed the planking and added the vegetation? - I'm sure it would be a great help to many of us.

All the best

Rowan

Hi Rowan, hi all,

That's a surprise ! I'd never have thought you could prove that interested in my dio and I am so pleased with the idea, that it'll be my humble pleasure to share with all of you the way I got to that result.

At first I had to get a wide enough woodboard to welcome the He-111 and its parking lot and embankment. I wanted the plane to be displayed crosswise, then drew on the board where various items were to be placed.

I then shaped the embankments out of 4cm thick styrofoam panels (available in France at DIY superstores) that I glued on with "wood white glue". After that came the prep of the soil mixture, made out of the same glue mixed with water, a bit of plaster powder, earth tone water paint (either acrylics or gouache), and extra thin sand, making the blend very cheap ! The thickness of the blend depends on where it will pe spilled over : on the very ground, it has to be quite thick, even though it must keep a sticking ability for the next step.

Then comes the tricky part of the job ! I cut thin rods of balsa (a sort of wood used in flying modlling, don't know the english name, but I think you got the idea) in, say some 300 ex... These are placed on the still sticking ground. Some rods won't be sticking of course... I used super glue (Cyanoacrylate), for them to understand where I wanted'em to rest !

Same job on the embankments, but the soil blend gotta be thinner than on the groundwork, for if used as thick, it won't stick on the foam. Same wood work though, and in addition come the timbers, made out of shaped matches...

Vegetation : I spilled some very much thinned of my soil mix in the gaps between ground boards, and then sprinkled artificial grass railroad modellers use. Then let dry away for 2 days.

I then removed the excess grass with the hose of the compressor.

Now come the drybrushes on the wood (various tones of brown and grey, done with dry pastel chalks), and the airbrushes for the grass (deep green), followed by a yellow drybrush on that latter.

At last, a coat of Pebeo matt acrylic varnish sealed the whole dio, and finally I put the He111 on !

Find it effective ?

I hope this will help, and also that you understood everything I meant...

Feel free to revert with questions, if any

Best regards,

Richard
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi Richard

That's excellent! If you like, I'll copy some of your photos and post a short Feature in your name so everyone can share the technique.

All the best

Rowan
KeroJP8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Seine-et-Marne, France
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Good idea ! that's great.

Thanks !

Regards,