_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Canopy "color strips"
Calahan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
I would like to know how to apply canopy "color strips" effectivley. No, not how to mask cockpits - but how to get those nice strips of color BETWEEN the canopy "metal" and "glass" I'm not sure the purpose of, but I gather that these strips could be an anti-fogging device.

Through logic, I have a couple guesses on how to do this, but is there a master modeler's secret out there - or a quick and effective way?

You can see them on modern jet and helecopters. Some could be described as a "gold" color.

Thanks for your input.

Calahan

C[ ]
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Welcome aboard to Armorama ,
Well Paul here's what I do to get nice straight lines on my canopy's. I'll lay out the lines with painters masking tape, it's a low-tac tape. Cutting the tape in strips helps you comform and follow the canopys frame. Once done I'll go over the seem using a clear coat, most times I'll use Furture floor wax. What this does is that it'll stop the paint from bleeding under the tape. Just brush on a light coat. Once it dries paint on the color of choice, let it dry about 4-5 mins. then pull the the tape.

Other methods are to use Bare-metal foils, found at most hobby shops. Just cut and mask as you would do with tape. You may even find canopy masks that some aftermarket companys offer.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

You could mask the canopy "glass" and then paint the frame the colour of the interior, let it dry then paint it again the "gold" colour of the strip. Then put more masking tape that is slightly larger than the first. It should only be a fraction larger so it covers a thin strip of the gold colour, and paint the frame the required camo colour.

If you get it right when you remove the masking tape you will have a thin strip of the gold between the glass and the frame.
 _GOTOTOP