Bf109-G Showing
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC

Hi there!
I have made my 1st 1/32 kit and i thought you would have a word or more for this kit!
It's the Bf109-G from Revell!
I haven't made any improvements on it!
Any comments appreciated!!

the kit came with the pilot and since i didn't had any refs for the interior i placed him in!! :-)

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
George,
I like the trop camouflage on your 109, very colorful and a nice change from the gray and green schemes normally seen on these a/c.

What paints were used on your model?

Thanks for posting!

Matrixone
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi George,
I'm not a 109 expert but a couple of things stand out to my eye. The undercarriage looks to be a little to splayed out (might be the camera angle, in pic 3). At first the camo colours puzzled me but then I noticed the white theatre markings which were used in Africa. I therefore assume the colours are RLM 79 and 80 over RLM 78? It looks like you have used the same green on the propeller? Luftwaffe props were RLM 70 Black Green (Schwarzgrun). The camo is well done, what paints did you use?
There is a joint showing under the lower engine cowl (the yellow part) and seams showing on the tyres. The rest looks fine (not sure if the gap at the wing root is prototypical or should be filled). There is a little silvering on the warning decal on the leading edge of the port wing. The wing walk safe area warning stripes on the port wing are a little skew and should be clear of the flap. Other than these minor points the decals look well done.
A tip for canopies; after masking paint the interior colour first (on the outside) then the exterior colour. The interior colour will show through on the inside.
I think the exhaust staining is a little heavy and to dark, but the exhausts look good. I like the weathering on the lip of the undernose intake and the antenna wire is very well done. Can't see in the pics but did you drill out the gun barrels?
Thanks for letting us see this
Mal
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
Well Mal it seems i made many mistakes!!!
:-) :-) Which i am aware off!
Well lets see!
The paints are Humbrol Matt65 light blue for the bottom
Matt 116 US Dark Green
and Revell 80 Tan for the brown!
I used the colours i had at that time and haven't looked for the correct ones since i didn't had any refs to guide me!!
The safe path on the wing decals you mentioned was a pain in the @ss cause they broke down and i was trying to put them in the right place!
Anyway all the other small details you mentioned are indeed wrong!
The Guns wasn't drilled!
and the exhaust dirt is indeed too much!!
It didn't came out correctly when i tried to weather it!!
Anyway i'm glad you mentioned all of this and i'm also glad you like it in the Overall look!!!
Thanks again for posting!!!
Cheers!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
George,
My comments in no way were critical and I think it quite refreshing to paint with what you have. If you do want info on colours we can help you here though However authintic colours tend to be more expensive
Yep those walk way decals can be a right pain, I usually cut them and apply the two parts seperately. Are you using a glose coat before applying decals?
Mal
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hi there Mal!
Don't worry about your comments no offense taken!
It was good to hear your comments!
Yes i coated with gloss varnish but the decals were big and out of range so they wouldn't stay at the correct point!
I cut them and tried to place them as best as i could!
Anyway no harm done!!
:-) :-) :-)
It was a nice creation!

Thanks again Mal!
Cheers!!!
 _GOTOTOP