_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
HELP! its all gone foggy
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
I think ive made a newbie boo boo, while painting my canopy frame I overpainted so I used a drop of thinners to wipe it off, Oh dear its all gone foggy, can this be rectified or is it a bin job. thanks for any advice.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
your canopy can possibly be saved by a dip in kleer, when i over paint canopy frames the neatest way to clean them is to get a cocktail stick, cut it at an angle and gently scrape away any overpaint. the stick will not mark the clear parts
good luck! phil
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
You can rectify the problem with a lot of polishing. I use toothpaste on a bit of old denim and polish it like mad. Follow this with metal polish on cotton wool and finally a coat of Future. If you spend enough time on the polishing the application of Future will bring back the clarity.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
John,

If your canopy was coated with Future (Johnson's Klear), just wipe it off with ammonia. Ammonia instantaneously removes Future. They you can continue.
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys, so far Ive used wet and dry flour paper which has cleared it a little but i think i will try the toothpaste and the kleer now, many thanks
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
John i once read a technique for this situation!
If it becomes foggy you can polish it with some pearl drops(tooth paste of some kind) or you can add some coats of floor varnishing(parketin is called here in Greece)
I hope the'll give you the desired outcome!!
Cheers!!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Last ditch - and I know many will disagree here - I suggest using a sharp flat knife to literally scrape away the paint and/or thinner. DON'T PRESS IN, JUST SCRAPE. Pressing in will actually cut and that is something you don't want to do. You will not get it to be 100% clear again doing this. But what you can get is a lightly scaled "smear" . Try first on a clear piece of sprue sheet if you can.

From personal experience, I dull coated my canopy and got the same fog.

Here is the result of scraping.

Jeff
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC
One of the great reasons for dipping in Future, before painting is what Fred said, if you screw up, a simple ammonia bath will remove your mistakes.... :-)

If your thinner was any lacquer based types it's probably etched into the clear part too deep to be polished out, although you could try it.
If it was a mineral base, (white spirit/turps) the fogging can probably be easily removed as suggested by those before me.

A final dip in Future should restore clairity.

JUST BECAREFUL of not causing stress cracking while polishing...... if these appear.... they are actually forming in the center of the clear plastic, and there is nothing you can do other than try to find a replacemnt canopy. (Falcon and Squadron make a vast assortment of Vacuform Canopies, you maybe able to find a replacement there)

In the future... (time wise, not dipping wise) I have always found that any mistakes on a clear canopy can easily be cleaned up, or over paint removed by making a chisel type scraper from a good old fashion toothpick. Gently scrapping the excess/mistake off the clear part.

OH John, what canopy is it, maybe someone has a spare......
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 08:15 PM UTC
Wish i had known about the futures dipping trick , the angled tooth pick sounds good, i have some old smokers toothpaste i might try that . the canopy is the open version for the Mark ix spitfire. thanks for the tips and advice much appreciated.
 _GOTOTOP