_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Canopy Clean-up
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi there

This is a follow-on to an earlier thread where Joe Szczygielski (mother) recommended Castrol Super Clean or Simple Green for cleaning canopies. I couldn't find either product in the UK, but I think I've come up with a suitable alternative...

This is the victim...

I bought and built Eduard's Heinkel He 280 as soon as it came out and used the closed canopy as a mask. So this is enamel paint which has had about 5 years to cure...

The Swarfega certainly isn't green - more like radioactive pink... but I soaked the canopy overnight...

This was the result after a scrub with an old stubby paintbrush!...

Cheers Joe! Concentrated de-greaser is a great tip!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
Awsome!!! Now can you give me the french version of that pink "thing"... or send me one bottle... even if I'm not sure it would go through the customs with that "radioactiv" color... did you wore gloves while using it... stange how some products seemed to have been designed for modelers!

Thanks for sharing the conclusions of your experience doctor Merlin

Jean-Luc
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hi there Rowan
Well this thing looks a little like the one i mentioned
the Floor varnishing(parketin)
It also has the same result but you must follow different steps!
First clean all the paint and then soak it for some time!
It gives the canopy the polished and clear look it had in the start!
Cheers!!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I just did a Google-search and it looks like Swarfega should be widely available throughout Europe and Australasia - it's part of the Deb range of products.

The safety warnings don't say to avoid skin-contact, but it's very concentrated, so I used plastic tweezers (to prevent scratching the canopy) for the most part and made sure I rinsed my hands thoroughly when I had got the stuff on my fingers.

Hi George - I think Floor is the equivalent of Johnson's Future / Klear - which is a great way of restoring a shine to canopies - but, as you say, you must clean them first.
All the best

Rowan
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 11:00 AM UTC
WOW! AMAZING!

This is like the first time I learned Kleer wasn't just for putting an instant shine on my boots, and some strange people used it on their FLOORS!!!!

This is a great site.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
Yeah I swear by this stuff. As I said many time before it's way safer than over cleaner, brake fluid and what ever other toxic stuff most use. No need to worry as it won't harm your skin or burn your nose. I've stripped whole kits at one time. It'll even strip the chrome from plastic kits. I've used it on all sorts of paints including oils.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:54 PM UTC
Yep, SuperClean and Simple-Green are great products, nice to see there is something similar overseas. (Not sure if I like the pink though. SuperClean is a lovely purple, and of course Simple Green is errrr Green)
I actually use it to clean up grease also..... (the stove, and oven..... smells a lot better than oven cleaners... funny the cleaning woman does windows but won't touch my oven....... which I rarely use)

Both being rather concentrated degreasers, they won't harm your hands, but will dry them out, by removing your natural body oils. So I wouldn't soak my hands in them for a prolong period.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
WHIT???... I can use it on me oven as well???

_GOTOTOP