_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
extreme pre shading!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
this is an airfix P 40 kit i tinker with when i am waiting on stuff to dry or set ect. i decided to pre shade it, to experiment with getting a two colour camo scheme showing panel lines by doing each colour separatly. the paint i used was revells matt black, or should i say revells treacle! it was so thick it behaved like a fast drying acrylic, choking my 470 nozzle so when i cleared it, it spat out a big dollop. it was thinned to easily 70% but as the pics show i had a bit of a mare! (and afterwards i had to clean my 470 with cellulose thinners)
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 07:51 AM UTC
WOW Phil I see your pain, but I don't think your going to have any trouble with covering it with the base coats. I myself pre-shade pretty and have no problems with my over all look.

I like to use MM aircraft black and thin it around 30%
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Phil

I agree with Joe - I think that's going to work out fine in the end. I use Revell paints quite a lot and they do seem to vary - some have a really nice thin consistency while others can be quite "gloopy" as you describe.

The way it spat out big dollops makes me wonder if the paint was mixed properly when you thinned it - did it have a lot of sediment? Sometimes paint does set alarm bells ringing and you know there'll be trouble ahead and something I've never tried (but have always meant to) at times like that, is straining the thinned paint prior to spraying. Has anyone tried this?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
Ah........Revell paints. My mate who owns a small model shop swares by them (only 'cuase he gets 'em cheaper than owt else :-) ) He hand paints but says that before closing the tin add a few drops of white spirit to keep the correct consistancy. Not normally the recomended thing to do but he does actually end up using all the paint in all the tins he uses. I hate 'em
but will use them if I have to. I think the problem with them is, once open the lids don't actually fit that well (let in air?). I say this because I used to heat up my paint for spraying(sit the tin in boiled water while I got the airbrush ready) The only paint I couldn't do this with was Revell's, the lids always popped off.
Yes Rowan I have strained paint, for the reason you say. I have managed to recover even well "gloopy paint" but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you are desperate. I did find that Aeromaster acrylics needed straining, no matter how much I stired them they always had bits in. That's why I never really liked them. I have since found that shaking and stiring seams to work better.
Use Colourcoates
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the problem with them is, once open the lids don't actually fit that well (let in air?)

Hi Mal

I don't think that's the reason - I've opened brand-new Revell paints and found the consistency really variable. I never stick to one manufacturer - I mix and match all the time :-) and Revell have some handy colours I haven't been able to get from other ranges.

All the best

Rowan
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
it was only the second time i used this tin, i bought it when i needed some matt black, and couldnt get humbrol, i used a brush in it the first time and i couldnt believe how thick it was, and it dried in the brush too. when i did this spraying i used it, although i now have my fave humbrol.as a painter myself, this seems like a bad tin, it was stirred and thinned into next week! however i just finished the underside,which was worse than the top and its come out quite nicely
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Looks good, should work out pretty good. I actually read somewhere that you can use a permanant marker for shading, and thats what I do. Preshade with the marker and then paint. Works out good, and saves time.

~Chip
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:27 AM UTC
chip, thats a really interesting idea! i have a permanent marker i was going to try to use for panel lining, but found a small dia propelling pencil easier. to use a marker would be better and more accurate than airbrushing
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Would you guys recommend pre-shading with a paint brush or do you only swear by an airbrush?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Airbrush!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC
definatly airbrush over ordinary brush. the effect i was going for on the P40 was light, fine lines, however it almost ended up painted black! (was there ever a P40 nightfighter btw?) this means, to "fade" out the black takes more work. ive started on the upperside and will post a pic later, so you can see what im trying to acheive
mat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:14 AM UTC
About the Revell black,

they have two matt colours, number 6 and 8 if I am correct. I believe number 6 is "tarnschwarz" ( I love those German names). I used it with an ordinary brush and it dries really really really fast, I had to clean my brush every 5 minutes. The number 8 dries normally. I could be that I switched 6 an 8, I haven't used them for a while.

Ever tried mixing Revell metallic paints with Tamiya thinner? That gives a really interesting effect on your airbrush. Like spraying spider webs :-) :-) :-)
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Chip do you know kind of marker was used, see I used a Sharpie once to out line the panel lines. Well there was a bit of trouble, the marker keeped bleeding through the paint. I can't recall how many times it had to paint and paint over before the marker finaly disappered. I did end up losing some of my detail. Has anyone tried this before and what marker did you use.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
my tin is number 8, definatly quick drying!
 _GOTOTOP