_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
Scratchbuild 1/48 Bugatti 100P
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi all!

I finally found the time to work on my Bugatti 100P again. I decided to start a thread about the build as it will include a lot of interesting and various techniques I think. Some I'm not aware of by now for sure!

My goal is to make my own 1/48 resin kit of that plane and it will be "new land" for me! I'm sure I will need some help from time to time. I hope I will find support here at Armorama. I already received some: Rowan (Merlin) mailed me some very usefull photos and my fellow countrymen at the French Communauty pointed me to a good resin and silicone retailer. Thanks to you!

Below is the plane in it's initial status. I made the prototype out of evergreen plastic sheets cut to the right dimensions for the fuselage and the wings. Then I added modelling clay (red) that I sanded to shape. To strenghten the clay I applied a coat of CA glue. The model was now ready to sand smooth and I used the usual grey Tamiya filler to have a perfect finish.

The material used being not very appropriate for further working, I decided to cast the initial clay model in resin using a silicone mold. I made a box using polystyrene sheets (yellow on the pictures) to put the silicone in and then made a support frame out of plaster.

I then had to cut the silicone mold to free the clay model. It was a tough job and as you can see the prototype model didn't resisted to the treatment!

I cleaned the mold from every remaining piece of clay and poured the resin in the silicone mold...

Now the only thing I can do is pray! If the mold is ok I will continue to work on several resin prototypes to make the parts breakdown... otherwise the Scratchbuild 1/48 Bugatti 100P thread will finish here because the clay prototype is in pieces!

I'll post another message tomorrow to keep you informed of the result... wish me luck!

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops! The Bugatti has been one of my favourite aircraft from the day I first set eyes on it - a real dream machine, if ever there was one!

Bon chance opening the mould!

All the best

Rowan
Blade26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 364 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Well good luck Jean-Luc!!
I hope this turns out fine!!
Cheers!!
Spot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hi, Jean-Luc. I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a Bugatti 100P. Also, who made it, and what nation used or uses it. Anyway, I hope your cast turns out well!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan, George and Ian for having crossed your fingers for me...

Ian, no need to apologize, I didn't knew about the Bugatti 100P myself before reading an article in a French Magazine in Febuary of this year.
The Bugatti 100P was a project of the famous Car Designer with the Help of Louis De Monge, a Belgian engineer. Purpose of that aircraft was to take part on the "Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe", the most prestigious trophy for race planes in the 30'. A prototype was build but never flew and was transported to M. Bugatti's house to prevent it to fall in the hands of the Germans in 1940. It remained there until someone bought the engines for his cars (the plane was motorized with two car engines!?)... The remains of the plane fell into various hands before finally being donated to the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh were it was restored to it's actual condition. You can learn more by visiting their website .
Below is a picture of a model made by M. De Monge for aerodynamical tests.

Now you will probably know if the casting was succesfull!? I think it was as you can see on the pictures that follow...

The model looks almost like M. Monge's original test model so I'm tempted to do a simple desktop version with one casting before making a kit out of it... what do you think?

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Superb stuff Jean-Luc, keep going this is inspiring I have always wanted to try my hand at casting. If a Frenchman can do it.........................
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb stuff Jean-Luc, keep going this is inspiring I have always wanted to try my hand at casting. If a Frenchman can do it.........................
Mal

Hi Mal!

I plan to enter it in the november 2012 MOM! :-)

Jean-Luc
Spot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:34 PM UTC
I have to tell you Jean-Luc. I don't know whether it was beginner's luck or sheer genius, but that resin cast of the Bugatti 100P turned out well. Oh, and thanks for the info on the bird. I just have one question, I looked at the Oshkosh site but it didn't say whether the Bugatti 100P was actually flown, was it? Anyway, it looks great!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi all!

Ian, I must confess this is not my first attempt at making silicone molds. I made my first resin castings around 1990... but it's my first plane though.
Roderick, making silicone molds is not easy but not impossible with a little bit of practice. My first attempts were desasters! I used various techniques (latex, alginate and even stuff used by dental prothesist) but silicone is the best... and by far the most expensive! Doh!
Maybe I should write an article on how to make silicone molds and cast resin... I don't know if something like this has been written here at Armorama... I'll check that out (Rowan?).
Anyway, making molds is like everything, you just have to learn basic laws and practice... practice... practice...

Jean-Luc

P.S. I almost forgot... sadly, the Bugatti 100P never flew... only in some modelers dreams! :-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here's another update to my Bugatti build... Below is the first resin model with panel lines drawn with a pencil.

For later molding, I decided to cut the "horizontal" tailplanes and to hollow the cockpit of the second resin prototype.

Hollowing the cockpit was a tough job an here are the tools I used (in fact I used more than that ) Dremel, sanding stick, cutter, Tamiya Putty, files etc...

I put François in the model so you can see how less space there is in the cockpit... François will be my test pilot for the project... :-)

Jean-Luc
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:27 AM UTC
Really looking great so far Jean Luc.
Hopefully a full article will follow.
Spot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Took you long enough, just kidding :-) :-) :-).

Looks Great!

Keep updating!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Wow it really is coming on, Jean-Luc!

I hope you added a proper dust-mask to your list of tools with all that resin in the atmosphere...

All the best

Rowan
jinithith2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC
WOW! Jean-Luc, that is totally awesome!
Hey, maybe if you make a comercial kit out of it, I will buy it!
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:37 AM UTC
A fascinating project Jean-Luc, i can't wait to see how this finishes ( hopefully before 2012 :-)).
Andy (++)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! Jean-Luc, that is totally awesome!
Hey, maybe if you make a comercial kit out of it, I will buy it!

Kyo... ok... noted! One kit sold! :-)

Thanks for the feedback, it's really motivating to know some of you are following the build... Dave, I'm taking all the pictures for an article, but don't expect it in the next weeks! I hope to finish this around May 2012... err... 2006
Rowan, I'm wearing a mask while I'm working on the resin prototypes... and clean my workbench everytime!
I will have School Holidays soon. I think I will have more time to speed this project up!

Thanks again...

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here's a little update on my Bugatti Project. I've added some details in the cockpit area: rear bulkhead, pilot seat, driveshaft X2, dual-input gear reduction system for the counter-rotating propellers... yes the Bugatti has two counter-rotating propellers!

Note how "much" space the pilot has between the two driveshafts... definitely not a plane for big guys! The hole in the pilot's seat is where the control stick was positionned. There is still a lot to add in the cockpit (instrument panel, driveshaft housings, rudder pedals, levers etc...) and I don't know if I have enough space on my model!?
I also started to hollow the landing gear bays...

Jean-Luc
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:16 AM UTC
That is coming on really well Jean-luc, keep up the good work as this is very interesting watching this progress.
Andy (++)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:37 AM UTC
I know this is an old tread, but have to comment on that very ambitious and difficult project. With the colour profile from Peter this could be a fantastic build.

I am very impressed by the amount of work put into this project.
 _GOTOTOP