_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Thinking about trying
wolfsix
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi folks

Hi, I have a secret shhhhh don't tell anybody but I've been thinking alot lately about trying one of those wingy thingys. The other night I watched a show on the History Channel called "Dog Fights" . It traced the history of the weapons and tatics of air to air combat from the early days of WWI up tp present day. It was a great show. computer generated video of dog fights, and pilot eye views.
Anyway since watching it I've been thinking alot about trying my hand at a bi-plane. I was hoping that some of the folks around here could give me some ideas as far as what would be a good starter kit. I'm thinking about 1/48th scale, straight out of the box. nothing fancy. So if my flying brothers and sisters could be so kind as to help this poor old ground pounder out I would be forever in your dept.

Harry
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi Harry!

Do you want to make a bi-plane of the 14-18 era or later? Anyway, I would go for a plane with few or no rigging as this is one of the most complicated thing to achieve on biplanes.

If you want to do a 14-18 bi-plane I would also consider 1/32 scale as the fighters of that period are not that big... a 1/32 Camel model is as big as a 1/48 P-47!

Oh! I almost forgot... you don't have to worry, we won't tell the others...

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
heres my list of WW1 aircraft in order of rigging difficulty, fokker Dr1(triplane) fokker Dvii, roland Cii, most other WW1 planes have a heck of a lot of rigging. my way to do rigging is with very fine fishing line, into pre drilled holes. the line i have can be pulled tight if needs be by holding it over a lightbulb. btw, if you want to build a plane that is more rigging than aircraft try the airco DH2 and be warned, modelling WW1 aircraft is VERY addictive!
 _GOTOTOP