_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr.I 425/17
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 08:39 PM UTC
JackFlash to Armorama Air Wing Base....

Greetings all, I have had sveral requests to describe the real markings of Fokker Dr.I 425/17. Despite what you might have read about the last Fokker Triplane flown by Rittmeister Manfred von Richthofen it did NOT have a white or bare metal cowling or any sort of lt. blue on the undersurfaces. Hope this helps.

JackFlash outbound.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
thats interesting to see stephen, because i am building this aircraft in 1/8 scale from a partwork magazine. all the pics of the completed model have a bare metal cowling, although when its built i might leave any coverings off anyway because its built of wood and metal just like the real one (no plastic at all!) i hope to make the controls actually work as well
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:35 PM UTC
That nonsense of the baremetal cowling goes back to an image of MvR flying F.I 101/17 on a test flight at Gorries Germany end of July - beginning of Aug. 1917. The preproduction bird had a bare metal cowling and streaked camouflage. The many - many copies of this aircraft image inflight were intentionally darkened to give the reader the impression that it was overpainted red.
 _GOTOTOP