_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Ultimate preshading?
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
I was looking at the restoration progress of a Halifax bomber at the RCAF Memorial Museum. When I saw this picture my first thoughts were they're PRESHADING it before painting!

Having recently seen the rebuilt Halifax at the Yorkshire Air Museum I hope the RCAF Museum's rebuild is a success. Seeing one of these four engined bombers up close really shows the massive size of these aircraft.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
never mind the preshading, how did they mask the canopy! :-)
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hey Martin that looks to be a great dio, eveything in the picture can be made or bought.
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Martin that looks to be a great dio, eveything in the picture can be made or bought.

Well not in that scale

Martin
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Wow didnt know they preshade these babies even for museums! Nice to know they try to add as much realism to those display models as they can. I always thought that they just painted in on the same colour uniformly throughout.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC
I am not really sure if it is Preshading there guys. I have seen some c-130's at Depot and they look the same. They only sandblast the old paint off and they usually try to stay away from the seams, plus the seams are usually filled with sealant. So depending on how well it was put on in the first place will determine how much is left over, that stuff is hard to get off NO MATTER what you use. I know this first hand (doesnt come off the skin or clothes well).. However in this case I am sure they have added to the overall effect, maybe without even knowing.

Herky
 _GOTOTOP