_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How cool is this?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
I stumbled across a name here in Colorado Springs the other day. Maj (retired) John Oliphit. He flew P-47's and 51's during WW2, (Mad Rebel). I contacted the good Major and asked if he would speak at our annual Christmas banquet. He said he would be delighted. He served 28 years and at 84 years old is still pretty damn sharp if you ask me. I'll post some pics and a little write up once we have the banquet. I just thought it was too cool and had to share. Thanks. "Q"
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:02 PM UTC
I look forward to it!

jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
The real question is how did you stumble onto this guy. The fact that he is still sharp at 84 is definitely amazing. Dont forget the photos.
Rhinosd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 56 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I stumbled across a name here in Colorado Springs the other day. Maj (retired) John Oliphit. He flew P-47's and 51's during WW2, (Mad Rebel).

I think you mean "Oliphint" Major Oliphint is quite a hero and tells a real good story or two! Here is a link to his web site:

http://www.madrebel.com/index2.html
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
Thats him, I just mispselled his name. How I came across him was like this, A buddy was in town attending an ROTC function. I hadn't seen him since I retired about a year ago so we got toether for dinner. Ran him back to his hotel room to catch up on our days in Iraq, and he pulls this book out. "Mad Rebel, a Youth at War". Maj Oliphint spoke to the group of ROTC folks and presented them with his book. His info was printed on the inside of the cover and I wrote it down. Never knew he lived here in the Springs so I was quite surprized when I read it. I talked to him for a good 30 minutes on the phone. I'll be seeing him soon to get a copy of his book and to nail down the details for his speaking engagement with us. I'll make sure and post the info once its available. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP