_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Been away - here's what I've built
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:22 PM UTC
I've been away from this forum for a while, so I thought I'd share some of the stuff I've been building lately.

This is my latest finished build, Hasegawa's 1/48 Ki 43 II "Oscar." I used Eduard's PE detail set, Alcad II metallics, and the kit decals.

There are more pics at my website: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/oscarbuild.htm

I also finished Airfix's 1/48 Mosquito FB Mk. VI. I also used an Eduard PE detail set, along with a Squadron vac canopy. The internal canopy framework was made from solder, and painted RAF Interior Green. The wheel well detail was also scratchbuilt, using solder.

There are more pics here:
http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/mosquitobuild.htm

This one is not quite finished yet. It's Shanghai Dragon's 1/48 Ju 88C-6. Again, I'm using Eduard PE. I've also added wiring (and a pair of headphones) to the cockpit, and hydraulic lines to the gear legs.
The cockpit:

The winter camo:

More pics:
http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/ju88build.htm

This last one is a commission build. It's Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4N Skyhawk. It will be built OOB, with a True Details resin seat and Israeli camo and decals. This is a fine kit, even if it's post-WW II !

More pics:
http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/skyhawkbuild.htm

I also just started a 1/48 Hasegawa A6M2-N "Rufe" with Eduard PE today. No pics yet.

Thank you for the opportunity to share my work with you !
DPD1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 08:37 PM UTC
The A-4 cockpit is especially awesome... Nice work.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Featuring the NEW 'Military Aircraft' Photo CD -
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Thank you DPD1 !

So many views, so few words. Oh, well. I like them.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:01 AM UTC
hello bill! good to see you and your work back here, i have your site in my faves and i was only thinking of asking how you were via email the other day. the aircraft forum has been quiet in general for a few days, i, myself have been busy at work, and in the UK its nearly time for the IPMS national so ive not been around here as much as normal. we've got an armorama stand at this show and im packing stuff to take,and only just noticed your post.
really like that zero!
cheers, phil
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 05:29 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

I have to say your builds are superb. Looking at the mosquito pics on your site I wondered how the hell you managed to glue the internal canopy frame into the vac canopy without a single smear of glue?
Spuds
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Well done, Pixilater. Cockpit detail is magnificent. Are you going blind yet? :-)
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thank you Phil, Martin, and Tom !

Phil - I don't do competitions, so I'm not really aware of when they're scheduled. The first pic is not a Zero, but a Nakajima Ki 43 Oscar, an I.J. Army aircraft. They are very similar in many ways, and I've seen Oscars identified as Zekes on documentaries that I've seen. A very common misidentification.

Martin - the only internal frames on the Mossie canopy that were glued are the ones that span the width. There are tiny drops of MicroScale Krystal Kleer on the bottom that are hidden by the painted external framing. The rest are held in place with Future. I made them from 0.015 solder, bending them to shape on the outside of the canopy. They were cut, painted, and Futured into place. Future levels itself well, and it leaves behind no ridges to give it away.

Tom - I always try to add as much detail as I can to cockpits and wheel wells. If I see it in reference photos, I'll try to find a way to replicate it. I use 3X magnifying reading glasses from the drugstore, and a magnifying lamp with a round flourescent light. I can use both eyes (to see depth), and the round light eliminates shadows. I would go blind if I tried to do this in 1/72. I can add most (if not all) of the detail I see in photos to a 1/48 kit, so I don't lose shelf space to 1/32 kits. Like Little Red Riding Hood said, "this one (1/48) is just right."

Thanks again !
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
[quote]Thank you Phil, Martin, and Tom !

Phil - I don't do competitions, so I'm not really aware of when they're scheduled. The first pic is not a Zero, but a Nakajima Ki 43 Oscar, an I.J. Army aircraft.

DOH! bill, take that misidentification as a compliment, the model looks so nice i didnt really take much notice of the description!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
Great Gods of plastic...
How did you paint the cockpit of the Ju 88C-6?? How did you do the dials?
 _GOTOTOP