Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fw190 - Texas Air Museum - pics
jcneel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC
Went to the Texas Air Museum in San Antonio, Texas today - thought I'd share a couple of photo's I took of the FW190 they have there.

I also tried to get into Lackland AFB to get some photos of the aircraft on display there - but wasn't able to get in without a "sponsor" from on base. Guess if you don't know someone there you can't get in. Bummer - looks like they had a pretty good spread of WW2 a/c there...

cn
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
Chris,

Thanks for posting these.

Though the -190 was flush riveted, it is interesting to note the large number of raised rivets on the underside of the wing. This shows that to mindlessly remove all raised detail is unrealistic / unauthentic.
jcneel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC
Weeellllll, I wouldn't be 100% sure about that. May have to do with the accuracy of the restoration, which I can neither confirm or deny. While I was at the Texas Air Museum, they had an old beat up F4B sitting outside. I noticed that there were several panel covers that were held in place by rivets, sheet metal screws, flush phillip head screws and who knows what else. So leaves me to wonder about this Fw190. Maybe it is correct - but also maybe not. Compare the the Fw190 at the Udar Hazy wing of the National Air & Space museum in Washington D.C. I would venture to guess that their restoration would (could?) be more accurate than some others?

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
is'nt that hasagawa box top artwork in the second pic?
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 07:48 PM UTC
I visited the National Air and Space museum in D.C. and bumped into one of the guys who works on restorations making a few touch up's on some of the aircraft. According to him they use mountains of ref material and historical accuray is their number 1 goal. They look at many sources and blueprints left over from WWII some of which are still classified. If I would trust anyone it would be these guys!
ipms44268
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
It might be the cover art for the Has 1/32 190. I just finished White 10 Eismeer flown by Rudolf Artner JG5. I used the HAS 1/32 kit. What a great kit. I purchased the kit at Hobby Lobby during a 50% off sale. Oh by the way for the folks in the USA , Hobby Lobby has an internet coupon for 40% off any store item right now.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Weeellllll, I wouldn't be 100% sure about that. May have to do with the accuracy of the restoration, which I can neither confirm or deny... Compare the the Fw190 at the Udar Hazy wing of the National Air & Space museum in Washington D.C. I would venture to guess that their restoration would (could?) be more accurate than some others?

Weeellllll...you got me there! #:-) The Texas FW does appear to be ersatz-restored! I should have known better.

Yes, NASM is beyond reproach. Their's will be properly restored. Here's my pix of it in Sept: Sept NASM FW-190

That said, there is a trend to mindlessly (even if convienient) rid a model of all rivets, even on planes festooned with them!
modelci2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 727 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
thank you very much these photos . The bird flew in Turkish Air Force with Spitfire during ww2 . See that link : http://www.hvkk.tsk.mil.tr/public/fotograflar/albumanasayfa.asp?bastar=1924&bittar=1950

I saw a photo spit flew next to fw 190 if I can find that I will show you
 _GOTOTOP