_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
FEATURE
  Eduard's Fokker D.VII Super-Review
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:39 AM UTC
Once in a while a submission comes along that makes your jaw drop! I thought I''d done a reasonable job in my preview of Eduard''s D.VII, but Stephen''s almost forensic examination puts me to shame. LOL! I''ve ignored Stephen''s modest title and called this "The Ultimate D.VII Review" - once you read it, I think you''ll understand why! This takes WW1 modelling on Armorama to a new level and should stand as the definitive assessment of this exciting kit.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 02:51 PM UTC
JackFlash to Armorama Air Wing base...

Merlin, may I say many many thanks for the kind words... I am speechless and grateful.

In response to a couple of inquiries. The Eduard kit cowl provided in the kit for Stark's aircraft (D. 4523/18) is incorrect, it has the pilot's right side depicted with a flat shelf that is notched to fit against the engine cylinders, with the exhaust exiting over this panel.

Look at the Windsock Fokker D.VII Anthology vol. 2, and you will find some photos of Ltn. Stark's aircraft.
The photos show Stark's aircraft had a full rounded upper cowl panel with many louvers that had a cut out at the back for the exhaust pipe. The front radiator also should have been rounded similar to the early style in the Roden early OAW kit. The Jager kit has this correct cowling, but the Eduard cowl is incorrect.

One way to over come this is to simply cut the upper panels away as if the machine were operating in late summer early fall.

With the DML kits I am working on for my EOW diorama I altered with sheet plastic using the Roden kit upper panel as a pattern. If I have to do this all over again I would use toolers aluminum (as thick as 3-4 sheets of aluminum cooking foil.) The Louvres can be made from Evergreen plastic strip. They have quarter round in various thickness'.

Also on the radiator plug the notch with a chunk of plastic sheet probably two .060 thou glued together and flex file the union.

I am suprised that after Eduard went to all of the trouble to build 2 different fuselages and radiators that they chose to build a version that was used only on a very small number of aircraft from the mid production batch. Definately not the type on Ltn. Stark's aircraft as depicted in the decals
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC
Stephen....

WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!

You sure weren't joking when you used the header titled "detailed"..... an amazing read! Well done! And I love the inclusion of all those references.

Do you have any tips for me on doing the Lozenge colour scheme? I have an old DML 1/48 Fokker VIII Mono-plane I'm planning to build which required that complicated (IMHO) colour scheme...

Sir, I salute you!

Rudi
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi Stephen and Rowan!

Stephen, this is archeology you are doing! That's what I call reference material! I don't have the Eduard kit (yet) but I sure will use what you wrote when I'll build my Battle Axe 1/32 Fokker D.VII
We are fortunate to share this place with people having such knowledge on such precise subjects. Thanks for sharing all these informations with us!
And thanks Rowan for the editor's work you are doing...

Jean-Luc
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 05:42 AM UTC
An excellent article.
Thanks for writing it.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen....
WWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!
You sure weren't joking when you used the header titled "detailed"..... an amazing read! Well done! And I love the inclusion of all those references.

Do you have any tips for me on doing the Lozenge colour scheme? I have an old DML 1/48 Fokker VIII Mono-plane I'm planning to build which required that complicated (IMHO) colour scheme... Sir, I salute you! Rudi

Many Thanks Rudi,
On the Fokker D.VIII try my website See at the bottom of my post here) for details on that kit's build. I recommend tossing the Psychedelic kit lozenge and using the Eagle Strikes sets. I helped design these and do NOT get any kick backs for their mention here. Several good modelers had input into their design and I feel they apply the best, have the best colouring and with a light mist of black wash (to simulate fabric variations) you will get the best effect. See;
http://www.aeromaster.com/

Recent declassified documentaion tells us that the parasol wood veneer covered wing was streaked camouflaged in four colours.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen and Rowan!
Stephen, this is archeology you are doing! That's what I call reference material! I don't have the Eduard kit (yet) but I sure will use what you wrote when I'll build my Battle Axe 1/32 Fokker D.VII We are fortunate to share this place with people having such knowledge on such precise subjects. Thanks for sharing all these informations with us! And thanks Rowan for the editor's work you are doing... Jean-Luc

Thanks Jean - Luc, Its always good to hear from you. On the Battle Axe 1/32 kit I have a build write up on that kit. Contact me by personal message and send me your e-mail. I send the text to you. WARNING!! The Battle Axe kit is not for the faint of heart..
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

An excellent article. Thanks for writing it.

Thank you Dave O'Meara; all the best. Stephen
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
BLIMEY!! as someone who has dabbled in WW1 kits, this sort of article is absolutely what you need to build a really nice kit, especially when you can't hide stuff under a canopy! exellent reading
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WARNING!! The Battle Axe kit is not for the faint of heart...

Well, that's what I said to myself as I opened the box! :-)
I'll PM you... thanks a lot!

Jean-Luc
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BLIMEY!! as someone who has dabbled in WW1 kits, this sort of article is absolutely what you need to build a really nice kit, especially when you can't hide stuff under a canopy! exellent reading

Phil Box; Thank you for the kind words . Model On!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:50 PM UTC
Stephen,
Stunning, and I haven't managed to read it all yet. what an asset to the site and particularly the aircraft forum. Even more so now I have been forced by a dastardly conspiracy to actually build a WW1 kit I'm not complaining as I have been given the Eduard 1/48 F.2B nightfighter to review. As I didn't even know there were nightfighters in WW1 can you point me to where I might get some info, Ta.
Mal
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, Stunning, and I haven't managed to read it all yet. what an asset to the site and particularly the aircraft forum. Even more so now I have been forced by a dastardly conspiracy to actually build a WW1 kit I'm not complaining as I have been given the Eduard 1/48 F.2B nightfighter to review. As I didn't even know there were nightfighters in WW1 can you point me to where I might get some info, Ta.
Mal

Greetings Sir; I am doing a bit on the Brisfit itself but not the nightfighter you lucky devil you. When it comes to WWI British birds you can't go wrong with "ANYTHING" written by the late Jack Bruce. Here are a couple of mainstays for references. Other than Cross & Cockade Intl. try;
Bristol Fighter by J.M. Bruce, Datafile Special #1 , Windsock Publications 1992.
The Bristol Fighter J.M. Bruce , Profile Publications # 21 1965.
The Bristol Fighter J.M. Bruce, Vintage Warbirds # 4, Arm & Armour Press 1985.

_GOTOTOP