Hosted by Rowan Baylis
HS-129 prop blades
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi guys. I'm just finishing up some weathering on a HS-129B and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the prop blades were made of wood or metal. I don't want to apply a natural metal paint to a wood prop blade, thanks in advance for your help, WIngman out.
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi wingman,
I made one of these a while ago, I made the one with the 75mm gun.
Looking at photos here, I would say metal props. Check here for some photos. It's a German site so click on Motorflugzeuge in the homepage then Henschel, etc, etc.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Wingman!

I've checked my refs but found nothing about the propellers... but on the pictures I have they seem to be metallic. This would make sense as the Hs 129 was designed to destroy enemy tanks during dangerous low level attacks. I thinks metal is much more "bullet proof" than wood. But I'm not 100% sure.
If someone could point us to a crashed Hs 129 picture we would have the answer though...

Edit. it seems the germans used French Ratier propellers (the engines were Gnôme & Rhone) on the Hs 129... so the answer is metallic!

Jean-Luc
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC
The monogram kit indicates to paint them RLM70, Black Green. Ive seen pics of these sliding on the ground, the props were bent back like rosebuds, so Im thinking steel.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Wow. Thanks for all the help guys, metallic it is. It's so nice we can go to a great site like this to ask questions about certain things about model building. Hats off to all who help run this site and to all the model builders who contibute to this site. I'll be posting some pics of this build soon, thanks again, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP