_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
D-Day stripes on Typhoons
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi, I'm doing a couple of Typhoons and I have seen models and photos of Typhoons with different type of D-Day stripes. Some have the black and white stripe the same width, and some have wide white and narrow black stripe. Why the difference ??
Thanks
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi Mossieramm!

If you mean these strips, they are not D-Day markings. They were painted for rapid identification when the Typhoon entered service... to avoid friendly fire. The Typhoon could have been misidentified as the FW190

Jean-Luc
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:14 AM UTC
I may be wrong, but I belive the different width stripes were actually used for the Dieppe operation in 1942 (or it may have been a single white stripe). They certainly seem to be in use during 1943 in the photos I've seen, usually on the "car door" versions.
knikki
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Early Typhoons had the 'under wing' black and white stripes, because as the other chap pointed out, they were getting shot at by friendly AA thinking they were FW-190. You will find these stripe mainly on the car door type machines (forget the dates)

D-Day strips are wider and are also around the fuslage and naturally were worn for D-Day

HTH

knikki
 _GOTOTOP