_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Difference between mk1 and mk2 spitfire
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hello all, I know we have a few here who know a lot about and/or love the spitfire. I am currently building Tamiya's 1/48 mkI kit. However, looking at markings, I am kind of interested in making it a mkII. A book I have says that the only real noticeable exterior difference is a bulge on the engine cowling. So...

Is this true?
Would it be a hard conversion? say by adding some plastic strips (or something) and some putty?
Does anyone have pictures of this 'bulge' so I can see?

Thanks.
Leon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
BTW: some pictures of the current build. I'm pretty happy with how it is going. Up to this point I have never really been happy with the cockpit wash, but this time it more or less worked for me. Opinions?

Leon
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
Here is a site that lists the differences between Spitfire marks.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
Leon, looking good.
I believe the bulge you are refering to is for the "Coffman starter" it used a blank cartridge similar to a flare.
I may have a pic somewhere, it is only a small bulge on the right of the engine cowl, so should be easy to depict.
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

I was looking around yesterday, and happened upon the ultracast site and found this:
http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/113/default.htm

It is for a blunt spinner, but includes a 'blister' for the coffman starter on mk II's. Now I'm really not looking to spend $9 on something like that, but it made me wonder... is the spinner in the Tamiya kit inappropriate?

Anyway, Mal if you do have any pictures of the blister and/or placement of it, I would really appreciate it. I think from the ultracast sample, it doesn't look too hard to replicate.

Leon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC
Well geez. Armed with the name and knowing that ultracast makes one. I did some further searching and came up with this.

http://s96920072.onlinehome.us/ISL/Ultracast/48112-48113/48112-48113.htm

I think with this, I should be able to atleast fake it. Again thanks, as the info you both gave was very helpful and allowed me to get here.

I'm still curious about the spinner, though. Is it one of those, you have to know your specific plane things?

Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Leon,
I haven't had chance to look for a pic but of course you second link shows all you need to know. You will have to check pics of the particular plane you are modelling for the difinative answer on the spinner. I don't know if all Mk IIs had the same spinner.
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks again Mal. As always, I really appreciate your help.
Leon
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Leon
Apart from the cofman starter bulge I think the Mk11 also had two reinforcing strips above the main gear wells inline with the wheel bay there is a photo of the BBMF Mk2 on the following site and you can see these strips.www.bbmf.co.uk. . I think I have some drawings somewhere I will have look.

Dennis
Detritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:09 AM UTC
The Mk.II Spitfire was a Castle Bromwich-built Mk.I with the design 'frozen' to speed production. It differed from the Supermarine-built Mk.I by :-

A Coffman cartridge starter instead of an electric starter. This necessitated a small teardrop shaped bulge just below the centre-line and behind the spinner on the starboard side.

A Rotol variable pitch propellor. This had a more bulky and more rounded spinner than the de Havilland unit usually fitted to the Mk.I

Late production Mk.II's seem to have had the circular oil cooler (as in the Mk.V) instead of the semi-circular unit fitted to the Mk.I

The upper-wing strengthening strakes are a red herring! They were an in-service modification and seem to be most prevalent in OCU-operated aircraft. They can be found on MK.I, Mk.II and Mk.V airframes.

I hope this helps. Email or PM me if I can help further.

Ian
 _GOTOTOP