_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Academy MH-60G Pavehawk paint scheme
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Quick question. Just picked up this kit (Hobby Lobby 50% off sale) and am getting started building. I was curious if current pavehawks are still painted in the Euro I scheme as depicted in the kit of if they have been switched over to grey? If so are there any diagrams on where grey scheme to use online? Are the black stencils still used or would this require a new decal set as well? Are there any made?

Secondly, I am disapointed not even a basic crew was included! Are there any kits out there besides the Dragon Nam era crew? I was hoping for a kit that looks a little more current.

Thanks in advance!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC
short answer, gray-black or Dark Green. I don't know the FS numbers but I am sure a few members should pipe in shortly with them.

Jeff
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:18 AM UTC
I figured, I shoudl have specified I am building a USAF bird.

Thanks for the reply, so anyone know FS numbers?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hello Andrew welcome aboard to Armorama, good to see another helicopter builder. As for the Euro I scheme, yes it's still painted in those colors as also in the FS36118 gray. But most often you'll see them in FS36118 Gray, FS34102 Medium Green and FS34092 Euro 1 Green. During the first gulf war in 1991the Air Force had a few painted in Tan and Earth. If you want the FS numbers for those two colors just let me know.
As for decals in 1/35th, I have not seen any out. You can make your own on your computer or buy a few sets from Twobob.net using the stencils and markings. For me thats the best way.

Twobob http://www.cobracompany.com/35006.htm has a MH/HH-60G Update and detail set.

As for the Dragon pilots, they are really not geared for todays pilots. Thay can be used, you'll have to modify them some. There are two other sets of modern figures out, one being CMK's US Army UH-60 crew, two pilots and a door gunner. They look just about what Dragon put out. The second set I can't recall, but they are the best out. ( Gino)Heavyarty will be on soon to answer how makes that set and to give you a more clear insight on the Pave Hawk. Looking forward to seeing photo's of you Pave Hawk.

andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Excellent, thank you. I was under the impression Euro I had been totally droped, shows what i know.

Thanks for the advice maybe I will paint it Euro I afterall
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:51 AM UTC
Andrew,
the company that make's a more modern UH-60's figure set is Nemrod.

http://armorama.com/news/799

Again Heavyarty can elaborate on how to correct the Dragon’s figure into a modern 60’s crew. Something I have not done yet.
BM2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC
I have a couple in the flesh they were lo-vis grey marine birds
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
Ouch! $40 forthe Nemrod crew, thats nearly double what i paid for the MH-60.

Mabye I'll try to deal with modernizing the dragon kit.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:52 PM UTC
Here is a rundown of helo crew figures out there. The post also talks about what current crews are wearing and how to modify some of the figures to look more modern. Basically, if you sand off the chicken plate on the front and back, they will look more modern. As I stated in the above post though, the Academy OH-58D pilots are the best-looking modern ones in plastic.

For colors, the Euro-1 scheme is still around, but as aircraft are going in for rebuild, they are coming out in overall Gunship Gray, FS#36118. Both were/are used in OIF. "European 1 scheme" - FS36118 Gray, FS34102 Medium Green and FS34092 Euro 1 Green. Model Master makes all three colors.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
I would go with the overall Gunship gray. I am in AFSOC and all of the Mh-60's belong to them. I am seeing less and less of the euro Scheme. The only problem is if you go with the Gray you will have to make new decals. The Afsoc paint scheme calls for dark gray with light gray lettering and if it was an airplane the bottom would be vice versa (shamu paint scheme as we call it). I believe the light gray color is Light Gull Gray, but i am not sure. Also remember if you chose the euro colors, to fade them rather heavily, they would have at least a two year old paint job and the desert does not treat those colors well. Our Talon 2's looked terrible after a short time in Okinawa let alone the desert and they shared the same Euro scheme. They faded Fast.

Hope that helps,

herky
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
Overall grey is what I am hoping to do at this point, i just gotta find a decal solution as my printer cant produce decals of an appropriate quality.

In this pic I think I am seeing black stencils (not many, looks like just the basics) on gunship grey. was there a transition period?

thanks again for the help.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
All the Gunship Gray birds I have seen have the black stenciling. I think you could still use the kit decals with it and be correct.
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
This keeps getting better. I think i now have the painting squared away. Now just to decide if i want to drop the $ for Nemrod figures or work on dragons.

thanks everyone.
BM2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:36 PM UTC
I am sorry in my earlier post I confused Pavehawk with pavelow - I am unfamiliar with the 60 I only know the 53-
andrewnelles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:05 PM UTC
OK last question, would it be typical for a pavehawk to have both the external and internal rescue hoists? Or is it only 1 or the other?

thanks
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
They can still carry both. All have the external hoist installed probably 99% of the time. Crews still have to train and be proficient with the internal hoist as well. Most do not carry them on a regular basis though. It is just a redundant feature and it takes up precious internal space. Up to you to install it or not. The jungle penetrator will usualy still be carried though.

Quoted Text

I am sorry in my earlier post I confused Pavehawk with pavelow - I am unfamiliar with the 60 I only know the 53-

Just a note, MH-53J Pave Low III is a USAF helo, USMC doesn't use Pave Lows. USMC version is the CH-53C/D and C/MH-53E. These are not outfitted as PAVE Low aircraft. They don't have the radar bulges and other sensors on the nose and other parts of the aircraft. They have standard round noses, and the MH-53E model has a refeuling probe.

More info on the 53s here.

More on the MH/HH-60G Pave Hawk here.
 _GOTOTOP