_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
WWII antenna wire help
hoopdog9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hello all. I'm new to modelling WWII aircraft. I'm finishing up my first 1/48 scale kit (P-40) and have no idea how to make the antenna. Any suggestions for a rookie? Thanks.
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Michael.

I used stretch sprues for my antenna wires. Attached both ends with CA glue. Not too worry if it's not too tight. Take a match, light it. Blow the match out and carefully place the "hot" match near the center of the wire. The heat from the match will make the wires tighten. Don't let the match get too close or too long near the wire or else it will melt.
Nitro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi,
I myself do the antenna for my aircraft with a thin fishing line (0,08 or 0,065 mm, I'm metric, sorry).
All the rest is the same as defcon1 describes here.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Michael, welcome to Armorama

I use smoke coloured invisable mending thread, here is a link to my Spitfire Mk 1 online build. It takes you to the part where I am explaining the fixing of the antenna and IFF wires. Open the pics and you will see an explanation below. If you need anymore info just shout
Antenna wires using invisable thread
Invisable thread and stretched sprue are very similar techniques, I use invisible thread though because it is far stronger. It is also useful to be able to drill small holes, so a pin vice and 0.2 or 0.3mm drills are handy.
Like all new techniques it is advisable to practice first, 'cos it's never as easy as it's made out to be, it just requires practice though Don't forget to give us a shout if you need anything else and do let us see you P-40 when it's done.
Mal
EDIT:
Just had a thought, if the antenna wires split, from the tail to the wing tips then it is a little more tricky. On this Corsair I drilled into the antenna post (0.2mm) wound a piece of fine stainless steel wire around the 0.2mm drill bit and inserted it into the hole, fixed with CA. The invisable thread is passed through the ring andwound around itself, to simulate a the tensioning spring, then the wires go of to their locations. They aren't to wing tips, but it's the same idea. To get equal tension on both wires consider drilling through the wings. You can then anchour the thread to the fin, tension it through the wings, evened it up and fix with CA. Cut off the eccess, under the wing and touch up as necessary. You don't have to use a wire ring, the 2 pieces of thread can be simply inserted ito a hole on the fin.
hoopdog9
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:14 PM UTC
Thanks all for your fast & helpful replies. I scanned the Internet for an hour looking for this kind of info. I'm very glad I came upon Armorama!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
You're welcome Michael, glad to be of help. If we can help with anything else just shout, here on Armorama the only dumb question is the one you don't ask
The guys and gals here are great and always willing to help.
Mal
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC
Hi Hoopdog,

My question is what was the antenne made of?

The P-40 at USAF Museum has copper wires from tail to wingtips and fuselage.

I surmise this could be so as copper was (is?) what telegraph & telephone wiring was of the era. But did they use something else?
 _GOTOTOP