Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P40 E question
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi guys ...I'm currently working on Hasegawa's P-40E kit and I'm trying to figure out what color to paint the area behind the cockpit on the outside behind the glass...I thought it might be interior green but I can't tell from pictures and the museum p-40's are all different... What was the usual color??

thanks in advance
Rick
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi Rick,

In virtually every case, they were painted the camoflauge color.
thebear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Really? That means I can't add the glass till after it's all painted ...Thanks for your answer.

Rick
BM2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
Here you go -
13b
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
i took some pics of the P40 in the museum. when i get home i will check if they could help.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i took some pics of the P40 in the museum. when i get home i will check if they could help.

Just a warning, some museums are not sticklers for accurate/authentic colors and markings. Even USAF Museum at Wright-Pat has acknowledged some of their birds are, or were, mispainted.

As we are finding out these days, a lot of the "official" information we had as reference material up through the 90's was self-perpetuating junk.

Whether it was modeling that drove it or not, the last two decades have seen an explosion or new material based on newly-available artifacts, plus the ability to share this information widely and rapidly.

Armor expert Steve Zaloga acknowledged that he lead many astray for years with US armor "Dark green", that he now has found didn't exist.

And recently I posted that someone in Asia has offered up an original WWII Japanese Navy color chart, which is dispelling many ideas about "true" IJNAF colors.

Caveat emptor!
 _GOTOTOP