_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Oil Question
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
HI guys did this and I got a question. This ws painted over 5 hours ago and is still wet. How do i speed up the drying or can go ahead and aplly a matt finish with it still wet?? any help would work.

thanks guys STUG
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi Steve

5 hours! I'm afraid you've got a while to wait yet... oils can take days to really dry. It was the long drying time and (hence) the danger of dust that made me go back to trying water colours for a wood effect.

If anyone knows a way to speed up oils once they're on, I'd be really interested too - I'd love to give them a second chance...

All the best

Rowan
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
If that's an artist oil.... it's going to take some time to dry.

EDITED: a crock pot may help, but you run the risk of it warping or melting.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hi again

Thinking about it - a heated drying cabinet is a help - but you're still going to have to wait a while.

The long drying time is both the strength and weakness of oils; strength in that you can continue to work them for a long time and create subtle gradations etc.; weakness, in that dust is a constant problem and the finish is easily damaged until it's dry.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
I seem to remember something called "Jap" that dries oils faster. Since I don't use them much except for figures and the amount is usually minute I never use it.
Good Luck.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 04:29 AM UTC
Japan Dryer, added to the oils before use. They put a really glossy finish on the oils. Use to use it way back in the college days, when painting on canvas.
For future reference Steve...
Put the oils on a white index card, let the card absorb as much of the linseed oil as possible, which is what gives the oils the long drying time. Use plain mineral spirits to thin and make workable, and then it shouldn't take more than a day or two to dry.

You could use a thinner dampened brush to remove as much as possible, and start over. If your base coat is acrylic. if enamels leave it to dry for several days, otherwise you run the risk of removing your base coat.

It's really not recommended to apply any kind of over coat over wet paint, since they will dry, and shrink at different rates, causing you many more head, and heart aches.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC
Thanks guys, this is my first time using them so i'm at a loose as to how to work them seeing i few more wood peices to do i'll try the index card trick...

Rowan i went to 3 difffernt hobby/craft store and did find your acrylic stuff, but i did find acrylic gauche. would that work???? STUG
jazza
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 03:02 PM UTC
As has already been mentioned, oils do take quite sometime to dry and definitely can take up to days to dry. This is often why many choose to try washing with acrylics.

I certainly would not recommend applying your matt finish yet as it will certainly warp the whole paint.

If you want to try shaving some drying time off, try thinning your paints with turps although i only do this to apply a wash, not a base coat.

Keep us updated.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan i went to 3 difffernt hobby/craft store and did find your acrylic stuff, but i did find acrylic gauche. would that work???? STUG

Hi Steve

I'm not sure it would - the reason poster / water colours work so well is that they don't dry waterproof. I've never used acryic guache, but most acryllics are pretty impervious when dry. You could try using a solvent like isopropyl alchohol, but I don't know what the results would be like... hmmm... I can feel an experiment in the wind...

All the best

Rowan
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:12 PM UTC
Thanks again guys. I'll have to go and try some more expiraments my self. lol STUG
 _GOTOTOP