_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 Hasegawa Rufe finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
I finished Hasegawa's 1/48 A6M2-N "Rufe" tonight. The color is Model Master enamel SAC Bomber Tan, which closely matches info on the j-aircraft website: http://j-aircraft.com/research/jimlansdale/pearl/jimlpearl.htm
I gave it a semi-gloss finish by mixing Testor's Glosscote and Dullcote.

The kit came with bombs. I built and painted them, using the PE fins. In the end, I decided not to add them. The PE sway braces have the locking nuts, and I didn't want to hide that little detail.

The photoetched flaps were primed with Future, and painted Alcad Aluminum. These were overcoated with a mixture of Gunze Clear Green and Future for the green Aotake.

Here's a pic of the actual aircraft (on the right)

As you can see, there is no chipping, staining, or high-contrast panel lines on the real thing.

In case you didn't see the cockpit and engine shots, they are here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/rufebuild2.htm

Thanks for letting me share another build with you !
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Looks like you've been haunting J-Aircraft's research area, too!

Good to see a model not "dolled up" with scrapes, chips, smut, panel lines, etc.

A great looking model.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Bill

Very nice indeed! I reviewed this one a while back and am looking forward to building it. The surprise in your reference pic is how pale (relatively speaking) the cowlings look! We all talk about the blue-black that was used - but it's a lot paler than the shadows in the picture... maybe the new set of paint chips mentioned on J-Aircraft will help pin down the original colour.

Floatplane fever is upon us... I should have a review of Czech Model's Seamew posted tomorrow.

All the best

Rowan
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi Bill:

Impresive work. I like it very much, but a little weathering ? Congrats.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
Thanks Fred, Rowan, and Carlos !

Fred - I think that models of Japanese aircraft with chipped paint are more numerous than there were in real life. It's something that I feel is way overdone in almost all cases.

Rowan - the cowling looks pale on the aircraft because of the spinning prop. It's a little darker than it appears. The Seamew kit looks interesting. It's almost like an SB2C with an Argus or Lycoming engine. Would make an interesting addition to a shelf !

Carlos - I included the pic of the actual aircraft to show that these were well maintained. My display case will one day be a 1/48 museum, and a weathered bird would be inappropriate. If you like your models weathered, by all means, go ahead. I don't care to do it to mine.

Thanks again !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi Bill

I'm not sure the spinning prop is the whole answer - the aircraft 2nd from left still has a pale(ish) cowling. Of course, it might be down to the type of film originally used - that kind of variable can make assessing colours from shades in B&W photos a bit of a guessing game.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP